Any of you vain guys color your hair?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If so what do you use for coloring? I'm 42 and maybe being single, still vain so I have colored my hair for the past couple of years now. I used to do it professionally as my friend girl is a stylist but since she doesn't want to "see my face no more" (in her words), I thought I might try to do myself and save the money. I wonder if the Just For Men is ok.

stevesurf

Newly Enlightened
Just for Men has a noticable odor after you're done, so the chick will know when you've colored your hair...unless you condition it for awhile afterwards. There seem to be three camps:

Girls that like the "young" look (go color it)
Girls that say they like the "distinguished" look, but don't mean it (go color it)
Girls that say they like the "distinguished" look and really do (let it grow!)

Now if I could only read minds :sigh:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My hair's got a good amount of grey coming in...don't care - just wish I had more of it and was about 40 lbs lighter!!

Hair is the least of my worries!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to have a quite noticeable amount of salt and pepper going on. However, it's about all I can manage right now to get it cut before it starts to look silly. Anything more than washing it every morning is just never going to make it to the top of the list of things I dont have time to do ;)

Perhaps when the kids are a little older and I have time to worry about such things. Yea right! I'm not convinced now that they will ever leave me enough time to worry about such things. I might get some peace for a while when they go off to college, but just about the time my son is ready to go I expect my daughter will be moving back home...

Do what makes you happy with how you look and feel. If you're happy with yourself then women will sense that and be happy with you too. But if you're trying too hard, they will know that too ;)

Spudman

Enlightened
I am thankful for every grey hair because that one is probably not falling out.

savumaki

Enlightened
I think its like whittling toward yourself____hmmmmmm___ or maybe like p____ in the wind :crackup:

spudman's got it right- be thankfull you've got it AND you're here to see it.

Malpaso

Enlightened
My daughter has been coloring mine gray little by little for the past 20 years.

freeze12

Enlightened
I have some grey & I hate it! I color My hair using: Garnier Nutrisse # 60 "Light natural Brown" My ex used to color My hair also,but I also do not wish to see her. The color lasts about a month before some grey starts showing up.Am I vain.... Maybe....but it looks so much better! On some guys,grey looks good....NOT ME

nethiker

Enlightened
Malpaso said:
My daughter has been coloring mine gray little by little for the past 20 years.

:crackup:

I have found myself cutting my hair closer and closer the more it greyed and fell out. Now I'm on the shortest setting of my hair trimmer and just go at it. It seems to suit me this way. No coloring here.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in my mid-30's and the gray has been slowly creeping in for 5-6 years. Right now my hair is still about 95-96% very dark brown, but I notice a little more gray every year. It is most noticeable in my facial hair though, which when I have a full beard is about 15-20% pure white, mostly around my chin. I wear a beard 3-4 months out of the year, and a mustache or some other sort of facial hair another 3-4 months a year, but don't color any of it. I'm not a vain person, and don't even like when women wear lots of jewelry, makeup, or color their hair something other than their natural color. My wife doesn't wear jewelry or makeup, and doesn't color her hair either.

-Keith

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be 40 pretty soon and fortunately I come from a family full of men with thick heads of hair that stayed dark (or in a few cases including me...red) until late 50's or later most of the time. I am getting a few snow white hairs showing in my beard these days but that's about it (knock wood).

Went to visit the parents of a friend I grew up with and when I walked in the door his dad (full head of snow white hair) said "good Lord, you haven't changed a bit". I was puzzled by this until my friend and his older brother came over (hadn't seen them in about 6 years) and both are getting the same snow white hair their dad has.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I am 45 and do not need it yet! Only gray hairs I have are on my chest, for some reason. I would never use hair coloring! Not that vain.:eeksign:

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
cbxer55 said:
I am 45 and do not need it yet! Only gray hairs I have are on my chest, for some reason. I would never use hair coloring! Not that vain.:eeksign:

CBXer55
Oklahoma City

Your gray hair change must have started at your feet and is working its way up, it won't be long now. :)

I have a few gray hairs, but with dirty blonde hair it does not show up as much yet.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to color my hair quite frequently...but not with Grecian Formula for Just for Men.
I used a product called Punky Colour to dye my hair all kinds of bizarre colors: pink, red, green, turquoise, and purple among others. To obtain the most vivid colors, I'd have to bleach my hair first, then apply the Punky Colour.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Given my family history this isn't something I'll need to worry about for a long, long time. My mother is less than 10% gray at 67. My paternal grandmother was still salt and pepper when she passed away at 87. I'm more worried about losing it than dyeing it (baldness does run on both sides). At least these days there are (usually) effective treatments for that.

greenLED

Flashaholic
My avatar says it all. :nana:

Actually, there's quite a bit of gray hair in my family; an uncle of mine had a full "gray head" by the time he left college. I'm not there yet. :)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wifey commented on the grey growing in more. Im 40 and thought that I don't want to look 45 so I went out and bought Grecian Formula a few weeks ago.

:twothumbs

That stuff is awesome and way easy to use.

once again :twothumbs

TBY

Newly Enlightened
I am more worried about balding than gray hairs. I've always had a few gray or white hairs (since I was 14). I'm not too worried about that. I feel that gray or white hair adds character. Maybe I am just too lazy to keep coloring and dyeing! I like most things to be low maintenance, like myself. That's why I already cut my hair short. I don't want to be the old guy that people notice for the wrong reasons, like having really dark or unnatural looking colored hair, trying to look "cool" or younger. I also don't want to be the guy with a comb over that starts on top of his ear and finished on top of his other ear. The last couple years, I have noticed my hairline receding slightly. My hair is not getting thinner though, so I guess that is good. Well at least if my hair decides to "drop the top," I have the right shaped head to do a full shave!