What To Get? SL made in China or Nuwai?

Longbow

Enlightened
I've been considering a SL 3W L Tasklight since their inception, but now Amondotech is offering a similiar model by Nuwai, ALX-632L, which is more compact, has a longer wearing finish, and a medium light level setting. The differences in output favor the SL by 10 percent, but also decrease the SL runtime by 27 minutes and then a more rapid dive then the Nuwai. The SL of course has a superior warrantee, but I"ve never had trouble with a Nuwai that required warrantee service. Which one would you select? :thinking:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
I've been considering a SL 3W L Tasklight since their inception, but now Amondotech is offering a similiar model by Nuwai, ALX-632L, which is more compact, has a longer wearing finish, and a medium light level setting. The differences in output favor the SL by 10 percent, but also decrease the SL runtime by 27 minutes and then a more rapid dive then the Nuwai. The SL of course has a superior warrantee, but I"ve never had trouble with a Nuwai that required warrantee service. Which one would you select? :thinking:

Ok, after just know looking to see which model of Nuwai that is, I'd say that if you don't mind having to cycle through all the light modes (low, medium, high and blink) every time you use it, then I'd suggest the Nuwai. I, personally, hate having to do that--I'm more of an on/off type of guy. I know the PP4AAL gets great reviews everywhere it goes, but I had a 5w TL-3 LED, and the permormance was absolute crap, so it's made me a bit leary of SL LEDs.

Longbow

Enlightened
Trashman, thanks for the input, I too have had some less than stellar results with a few SLs'. I think the Nuwai flash mode doesn't activate untill the switch is depressed for three seconds. I"m leaning towards the ALX-632L.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... the SL is going to cost almost twice as much, but it will have a warranty. You're pretty much at the mercy of the web merchant if you go with the Nuwai, since it really doesn't have a warranty.

Alternatively you might want to also consider other Luxeon offerings that that form factor from other vendors including other SL offerings, that may also suit your needs.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another nudge for the Nuwai... I've been using my ALX-253 (5w, 3 cell) for two years now, almost nightly, and it still works like a champ. It's been dropped more times than a bad wrestler, too. I used to think that the non-removable plastic lens was it's biggest weakness, as it started to become somewhat opaque, but since then I've discovered "Displex", which I've used to polish it up all nice and clear.