Surefire L2 1.5 amps on High

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was telling a friend that owns a L2 that the light was made to run on low with only a couple minutes of high at a time. We checked the amperage draw and with a used set of battery's was 1.5+ amps! WOW I guess thats why it gets hot after even 1-2 minutes on High. If this light was left with a fresh set of batteries there's a good change damage would occur!

Mac

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get 1.4-1.5 amps on high for the L2.

Serious damage will not happen because after a certain point, the light drops down and goes up and down like a roller coaster (thermal management.)

The LED life will be reduced in life if left on high all the time though (contiuous on high running through multiple sets of batteries at a time.) Surefire has improved upon the L2 by making it have a bigger heatsink.

Yep Mac, it can get REALLY hot if left on high for 30+ minutes.

cy

Flashaholic
1.5amps draw at cell doesnot always mean 1.5amp across luxeon.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
1.5amps draw at cell doesnot always mean 1.5amp across luxeon.

It should be pretty darn close or the driver board would be super inefficient and would make the light even hotter.

Thanks Jason I had no idea the L2 has thermal management.

Mac

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2s draws 1.4 Amps from two new SF cells.

On high, the L2 gets even hotter than the L4. The L4 draws 1.0 Amp at 6 V.

I don't think the L2 LED will get damaged by this temperature increase, since as said, there is a thermal limiter as you can verify leaving the light on in a sink full of water, while pointing the beam to the luxmeter.

Anthony

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire L2 1.5 amps on High
Thats 9 watts of power being dissipated
5 watts to the Led and 4 watts in losses

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under a 1.5 amp load, the lithium cells will not be delivering 6 volts. I don't know what they would measure at, a SWAG would be 5.4 - maybe more maybe less.

Perhaps too they are driving that LuxV at something over 700 mA - has anyone actually measured?

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
so if the l2 is ment for mostly low power use, which sf @5w is ok for always on 'high' w/o issues??

i have a l2 and use mostly high don't wanna fry it, hey what an excuse for another sf hmmm but which??

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The larger lights, like the U2, L5, and L6 all have greater thermal mass and radiative surface area, so will handle waste heat during prolonged runs better than the L2. It largely boils down to size. Thats a pun I think.

Luna

Enlightened
Re 1.5Amps

Remember you can measure the current and the voltage directly on this light since the electronics are in the body. I cannot recall the exact measure ments but a while back I measured some pretty stout numbers going to the head.

photo2000a said:
so if the l2 is ment for mostly low power use, which sf @5w is ok for always on 'high' w/o issues??

i have a l2 and use mostly high don't wanna fry it, hey what an excuse for another sf hmmm but which??

I finally picked up a E1L Outdoorsman yesterday. It holds the RCR123 that my L2 will not (plus it is probably closer to the E2L spec with the ~4.2v). I think I'm really gonna like this light.

Latest posts