How can I deal with annoying people

Navck

Enlightened
"Oh well my CAMERA is better than your WORTHLESS FLASHLIGHT and you"
I hate people like this, is there a way I can do something to make them shut up? Besides taking their camera/iPod/face/etc and smashing it with my flashlight? I am heavily frustrated by the overall stupidity of these people that are unable to understand that flashlights have a use and treat me like a mentally handicapped psychopath who "loves" flashlights in a wrong way. I am really annoyed by these "Darwin's Law Ignoerers" and ignoring isn't the best tatic right here...

greenLED

Flashaholic
ignore them, keep your cool
don't shove your lights in their faces, be cool abou your hobby - not everybody likes lights or understands the hobby
ignore them, keep cool
you'll grow out of this one, promise

carrot

Flashaholic
Possible way: Always have a comeback ready for them. If someone says something insulting to you, be ready to shoot something back that'll get everyone else laughing... at him. But this'll just earn you enemies in the long run.

Good way: Ignore them. People like this *like* it when you're annoyed. Don't react to them, and they'll move on to an easier target.

Better way: Keep a low profile. Let them forget you like lights. Not everyone appreciates good tools and other people's hobbies.

Best way: Laugh with them, if you can. Self-demeaning humor seems to win friends unless you're trying to be the alpha male.

Navck

Enlightened
carrot said:
Possible way: Always have a comeback ready for them. If someone says something insulting to you, be ready to shoot something back that'll get everyone else laughing... at him. But this'll just earn you enemies in the long run.

Good way: Ignore them. People like this *like* it when you're annoyed. Don't react to them, and they'll move on to an easier target.

Better way: Keep a low profile. Let them forget you like lights. Not everyone appreciates good tools and other people's hobbies.

Best way: Laugh with them, if you can. Self-demeaning humor seems to win friends unless you're trying to be the alpha male.

A:Thats what I am trying, not helping

B:Well after that I usually go home with the urge to scream even at animate objects if something goes wrong am about to smash it (Computer, TV, anything..)

C:Been trying, but when "the rumor" goes around, I have no luck

D:"Wow you're a retard haha you suck you're a idiot" is the only response I ever got from that and its pretty degrading enough when you're already autistic. (Aspergers Syndrome)

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
When they say something like "my camera is better than your light" just grin and say "well, good for you" in a friendly manner. Eventually, they will get the idea that you know something they don't, and you think they aren't worth explaining it to. This usually undermines their self confidence and ends the problem, or even gets them to start wanting to know more about the lights (or whatever it may be about). When people talk to ya that way, they are trying to get a reaction out of you. Don't give them one and you win.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
and ignoring isn't the best tatic right here

I am afraid I would have to disagree here. You gotta know one thing...
People have only as much control over you as you give them!

When you give over to their control by letting them get to you, then you are no longer in control of yourself. Walk away, enjoy your knowledge, and your stuff. You have done nothing when you have bested a fool. Besides it is real hard to hear their drivel from another room.

Navck

Enlightened
The thing is, its not the camera comment, its just that I have kids in my other classes (Many) that make fun of me in many ways (Gender preferance, looks, hobbys), and they really like to use "hobbys" into a "gender preferance" insult.
However, the camera comment took last string...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bravo25 said:
I am afraid I would have to disagree here. You gotta know one thing...
People have only as much control over you as you give them!

When you give over to their control by letting them get to you, then you are no longer in control of yourself.

Part of this self-control is not allowing other people's comments about you affect you, after you've ignored them. Don't let their comments ring inside your head.

Carrot had great advise too.

litho123

Enlightened
It's unfortunate that people can sometimes make fun of our hobby. It's only because they don't give flashlights much thought and think that flashlights are all the same. That person I'm sure gave quite a bit of thought into choosing his/her camera which is the same thing you have done with your flashlight.

I actually laugh when I'm asked what hobbies I'm into...I respond along the lines of..."Well, I'm into competitve pistol shooting and flashlights...which do you feel comfortable talking about?

I try to bring interesting facts to light ... which ever topic they choose.

I like to give comparative examples...the hotwire minimag light is an excellent example of how an ordinary light can be tricked out. I use it as an example because the minimag is an EDC light by many and they know what to expect when it is turned on. They are shocked at how bright a minimag can be!

Just the other day, I met someone for the first time who noticed my minimag and said his Scorpion was brighter than my minimag...that I should look into getting a better light. Before I could respond, my associate answered for me..."that isn't any ordinary light! He tricks out all his lights... I'd almost be willing to bet money that his tricked out minimag will be brighter than the Scorpion you're talking about."

I endure the ribbing...but I'm the one they come to when they want to get a better light. Don't let it get to you.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Fact is everybody sooner or later encounters someone who will make fun of them for some reason, or even for no reason at all. The people who do this are just insecure. They need to build themselves up at the expense of others. Best ammunition against being made a target is not to divulge too much personal information until you know someone fairly well. The less is known about you, the less likely someone is to pick some trait of yours and make fun of it. In the unlikely event someone still manages to pick on you despite your best efforts just ignore them. By ignore I don't mean just ignoring their making fun of you. I mean ignore them totally and permanently. In high school I had one person who out of the blue constantly tried to downgrade me. Odd thing was we started out as friends and then things changed for no good reason at all. She just started doing things like calling me weird, or sometimes trying to act friendly then the next day for no good reason ignoring me. At first it bothered me since I hadn't done anything to merit it. Eventually I decided I'd had enough, although by then school was out. Next year, and the year after that, I just never said another word to her or otherwise acknowledged her existence. At first she seemed puzzled and eventually pissed, but I vowed that I wasn't going to be someone's punching bag. There were plenty of other people who liked me so I had absolutely no more use for her. In the end I hope she solved her insecurity problems but I somehow doubt it. As for whether or not I may have hurt her feelings by doing what I did, I really couldn't care less since she really didn't show much consideration towards me by her actions. I'm also 100% sure she badmouthed me enough to have cost me a few potential friends, but that's life.

In the end don't let others control you. For a lot of people controlling others is really all they have. I may pity such people, but I refuse to allow them to enable their deficiencies at my expense.

rosso

Newly Enlightened
Hey come on the answer is obvious! "tactical". Show em what you got baby, give em a nice shiner in the eye. Er that means flash em not punch em!:poke:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Navck , I had to look this up "Aspergers Syndrome" Looks like I need to read up more before trying to help. But I will send a PM your way most likely tomorrow afternoon. I just wanted you to know that I do care and I am working on it.
Topper

AshA4

Banned
Like many of the others have said to some degree or another, don't let it get to you. Typically people that tend to run down others and make fun of them really do have their own personal issues and directly insulting or making fun of others is their way of feeling better about themselves. Sometimes said people are just plain a$$holes. It really pisses me off to hear people targetting a single individual who may be "different", whatever that may be and making them feel uncomfortable and upset. Violence isn't really the answer but like my Father always said when I was in school, if you can't avoid it, make sure you finish it. Remember, what goes around comes around in one or another. Just smile and don't let them "control" you. Good luck my friend.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hi Navck,

It sounds like you're feeling the social pressures of school that so many people in your age group are confronted with. It's a difficult time but hang in there, it does get better.

Generally you'll find that the people who are into 'bling' rather than substantive tools like flashlights are the ones who wind up bumbling through life in jobs that often involve wearing paper hats, while the nerdy types have an easier time finding better paying jobs in interesting fields. It all eventually works out... call it karma or whatever.

I have a lot of friends who fly the rainbow flag and it pains me when I see someone being abused for it. However like jtr1962 said, people who abuse others are usually insecure about their own lives and don't know of a constructive way to remedy that, so they tear others down instead. There will always be people like that in life. As others have wisely said here, don't take their flame bait; acknowledge their statement and move on (Hmm, nice camera. Thanks... gotta go.)

And whatever else you do, DON'T lose your interest in flashlights! :)

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
Let go of the need to be right.

Let go of your desire to be agreed with.

Then you are truly free.

Hmmm. Sounds like something a little green guy in some space movie might say, except he would the split verb at the end of the sentence put.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Just smile and nod.

The only reason they are making fun of you is because they think if is funny or fun. If they no longer think that, they will leave you alone.

Good luck, and don't let them get to you.