Has BYU prof found AIDS cure?

cy

Flashaholic
Has BYU prof found AIDS cure?

"Researchers, including a BYU scientist, believe they have found a new compound that could finally kill the HIV/AIDS virus, not just slow it down as current treatments do.
And, unlike the expensive, drug cocktails 25 years of research have produced for those with the deadly virus, the compound invented by Paul D. Savage of Brigham Young University appears to hunt down and kill HIV."

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_3482712

carrot

Flashaholic
Woohoo! Finally we can throw away the condoms and go back to our bliss-like hippie state of not having to worry about venereal diseases! :naughty:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot: except for herpes, and hepititus C. Too bad we don't live in a perfect world still :p

I hope it pans out too though regardless!

EDIT: reading on, it seems as though this might attack herpes too. Sounds promising!

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Wow. I really hope this provides treatment for millions of people dying world round. I also hope it's not taken over by some pharmaceutical company which will make the drug unaffordable... :p

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this guy has security, cause the big pharmaceutical companies don't want the cure viruses and diseases... Cause that's someone that's not buying from them month after month.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul, sad but true. I'd hate to think that they'd take him out, but then again you never know in this day and age!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
nemul said:
I hope this guy has security, cause the big pharmaceutical companies don't want the cure viruses and diseases... Cause that's someone that's not buying from them month after month.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Along those lines, if they ever had a cure for cancer or even obesity I doubt it would ever see the light of day. Too much money to be lost by the medical establishment. Indeed, for all we know some magic cancer cure might already exist, and maybe they're waiting until the time the medical establishment is so bogged down with cancer cases that they have no choice but to release it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh for crying out loud :) Pharmecutical companies will be thrilled to sell you a monthly maintenance cocktail for your AIDS, but that doesn't mean that their CEO's sit around stopping anything that looks like a cure. If this thing turns out to be real, big pharma will be all over it, wait and see!

Unfortunately, the most suspicious thing about this is the fact that there is any kind of announcement in a newspaper long before there is a publication in a medical journal. I can kill AIDS in a test tube just as completely right here in my office. I have various household, easily available chemicals that could wipe it right out. But if I inject them into you they will kill you just as well. Even if fast tracked for human testing by the FDA this is years away from the first human trial.

The newspaper article should be first quoting a medical or science journal where the guy lays out his results, and the methods for duplicating them so that others can try.

I know that AIDS is big news, but publicity at this stage of things is what makes science look like such pollyannas that never deliver. How many times have we heard this from test tube studies that never panned out? How many cancer cures have never made it beyond this stage? This is why people believe in some conspiracy somwhere, we keep hearing of major breakthroughs, but the actual treatments never materialize (or rarely and without nearly so much fanfare) so somebody somewhere has got to be keeping these great breakthroughs secret!

I would advise the fellow to finish writing that article for Nature, or Cell or whatever and tell the popular press that yes, it's very interesting, call me back in a year for a progress report.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S said:
big pharma will be all over it, wait and see!

BYU and Vanderbilt have jointly filed a patent on CSA technology, which has been licensed exclusively to Ceragenix.