Ultra long running Maglite?

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks :)

What is the question and idea behind this thread?

I think everybody know the Dorcy 3D Lux I :D

A direct driven Lux I, 21h runtime to 50% and very cheap ( I think around $23), these are the facts.

The question is....who build a regulated Maglite with only ONE (of course I like the 4-6 emitter maglites with 600+ Lux output :D) emitter/star with a runtime to around 24h full brightness???

I got three different ideas:

1. 3C/3D Maglite with Lux I/Lux III, driven at 350ma and 3 NiMh cells with 3.6V total voltage.

2. 2C Maglite with Lux V, driven at 700ma with 2 "C-cell shaped" 3.7V Li-Io from AW with 7.4V total voltage..

3. 6C/6D same like 2. only 6 NiMh cells with 7.2V total voltage.

I don´t know what heatsink (for Lux V), what reflector what regulation. I know nothing at all :ohgeez:

If I could get a flat regulation like the 10h from the UK 4AA eLED, but only with 24h, would be awesome (of course not the eLED brightness ;)).

I hope someone already think about a very very very very long running Maglite with normal brightness (like the Dorcy 3D) :)

Thanks for help!

update:

After I saw the Electrolumens 3P (is this light regulated???) I change my point of view ;)

A Lux III with two full regulated brightness modes would be THE THING :)

Around 35 Lumens at 350ma and 70 at 700ma with 48h and 24h full brightness runtime :D

I would pull the :paypal: and :sold: button if Mr. Nobody would build such a nice circiut :D

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Everled in a 3C or 3D light might go 24 hours. It has a boost/buck circuit so it will keep running on fairly dead batteries.

An alkaline D-cell is about 10Ahr. If you assume an average of 1.2 volts you get 10 Watt-hours. So a 3D light would have 30 Watt-hours of capacity. If the Everled draws an average of 1 watt then it should go 30 hours.

http://www.duracell.com/oem/primary/alkaline/mx1300.asp

Greg

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
I forgot the EverLED because the $40 was a little to much at this time :D

The EverLED did a nice job, runtime is also OK. The regulation is not as good as I want it :(

If you take a look at this graphic, you could see that there is a drop after the first 15 minutes to 75%.

The other thing is, that you could not change the emitter if you didn´t like the tint (maybe you could, but it´s very hard I think) :(

30h is good, but not 48h ;)

The goody would be a 24h Lux III full brightness and 48h Lux I full brightness light :D

Is this possible, I think...possibly maybe ;)

update:

Until somebody give me results, this scary monkey ( I hope that some people know Invader Zim ;)) will be your dreamcatcher :devil:

monkey1.gif

Last edited: