Ship Surefire to the Netherlands

Netherland

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid to order because in case of repair or replacement I have to send it all the way back to the Surefire company from the Netherlands!

Any advise someone?

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ship Surefire L4 to the Netherlands

Hello and welcome.

If you don't get a good answer shortly, send a private message (see the link under your name in the upper right) to a CPF member named Size15's. He resides in England and owns more Surefires than the rest of us combined. He'll be able to help you out.

best regards

B@rt

Flashaholic

Maybe you can send it to the Dutch SF dealer in Kaatsheuvel, although it would probably take longer. :thinking: :shrug:

Size15S buys most of his lights in GB, so that wouldn't help much powernoodle. ;)

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened

Awhile ago, i was about to order a G2 from surefire.com and emailed them asking them shipping charges to Australia, and they replied that they don't do international orders and then recommended i find a dealer in my country via their "find a dealer" on their website.

Welcome to CPF :grin2:

Colonial Marine

Newly Enlightened

I stand to be corrected here, but I am sure I read somewhere here on the forums someone saying that Surefire (in the USA) will not sell/ship goods to countries where there is already an authrorised distributor?

However I'd suggest www.lighthound.com who does ship worldwide, and has reasonable prices and shipping costs.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U

don't order from toolshop.de, their prices are generally twice as high as the american retailers. Yes shipping from the US will be more expensive but...

toolshop.de sells the L4 for 213 euros ($270)

Lighthound.com sells it for under $150 and that includes the surcharge for international shipping. The difference in pricetags is enough to ship the light back to Surefire in the US for repairs 4 times (using priority airmail).

But what you do need to realize is that with items sent from a store in the US to a private person in the netherlands, there is a 25% chance of the package getting taxed for import at the dutch customs. Most online stores probably won't do too much to reduce the chances on that, like forward it to you from a private senders adress, which will dramatically reduce the chance of the package getting sniffed out by customs for import tax. But what I understand from other threads here Lighthound.com will do so.

Last edited:

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened

Colonial Marine said:
I stand to be corrected here, but I am sure I read somewhere here on the forums someone saying that Surefire (in the USA) will not sell/ship goods to countries where there is already an authrorised distributor?

It's actually worse than that. Surefire won't accept foreign credit cards, regardless of where the goods are being shipped.

I voted with my feet and bought Vital Gear products from Lighthound.com (excellent service) instead.

Surefire have the right to refuse to sell their goods to me. I have the right to buy somebody else's products............

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened

Go with oversea sellers
in europe they rip you off that it's too pathetic for any normal mind!

Makarov

Enlightened

I'll second the vote for Lighthound, I've bought from him several times, and have had no problemes with shipping overseas.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless they have a repair depot in Europe, it would appear that shipping it back to California is the only option for Surefire products that need repair. Some retail dealers may perform repairs, but they might just ship it back to the factory and you may just have to wait for the factory to return it to the dealer who in turn will contact you when the light is returned to them. It appears that Surefire does have a 0800 number for the UK and Germany, though it isn't clear as to whether they have a European repair center.

Netherland said:
I'm afraid to order because in case of repair or replacement I have to send it all the way back to the Surefire company from the Netherlands!

Any advise someone?

Netherland

Newly Enlightened

MayCooper said:
But what you do need to realize is that with items sent from a store in the US to a private person in the netherlands, there is a 25% chance of the package getting taxed for import at the dutch customs. Most online stores probably won't do too much to reduce the chances on that, like forward it to you from a private senders adress, which will dramatically reduce the chance of the package getting sniffed out by customs for import tax. But what I understand from other threads here Lighthound.com will do so.

That also is another thing that keeps me from ordering, the import tax, and the fact that the package will be opened rudely to see what's inside!
Just in case it will happen, how are they going to charge me?

What I understand is that Lighthound ships it that way to reduce the change this will happen?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Netherland said:
That also is another thing that keeps me from ordering, the import tax, and the fact that the package will be opened rudely to see what's inside!
Just in case it will happen, how are they going to charge me?

What I understand is that Lighthound ships it that way to reduce the change this will happen?

I think some dealers, like Lighthound, will if asked nicely... label the package as a gift or item of value lower than $30. The problem with this is that you can't get insurance of a higher value so it is a bit of a risk since it could get lost by the postal service.....

In Norway they will sometimes open the package and will charge an additional tax of 25% of the items value and an additional handling fee of about $30....

They will as for a recipt of what you paid in order to charge you 25% of that sum. If you can't, or won't, they will estimate the value..... Normally not a good thing....

It's hard being a flashaholic in Europe.... :(

Sverre

Netherland

Newly Enlightened

NoFair said:
I think some dealers, like Lighthound, will if asked nicely... label the package as a gift or item of value lower than $30. The problem with this is that you can't get insurance of a higher value so it is a bit of a risk since it could get lost by the postal service.....

In Norway they will sometimes open the package and will charge an additional tax of 25% of the items value and an additional handling fee of about $30....

They will as for a recipt of what you paid in order to charge you 25% of that sum. If you can't, or won't, they will estimate the value..... Normally not a good thing....

It's hard being a flashaholic in Europe.... :(

Sverre

It seems to be indeed!
I'm going to send an e-mail to Lighthound.com and find out if he has any experience with shipment to the Netherlands.

Anyone has other suggestions... I'll read them here.

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened
Netherland, I cannot help you out on Surefire (which by the way are AWESOME Lighting tools) but if you email me with your mailing address, I would be happy to send you out some DORCY LED products with my compliments. Nobody should not have an LED Flashlight!
Email is [email protected]

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
here's a few pointers on how to avoid your packages being inspected by customs:

- Have a private persons adress put on the package as the sender instead of a company.
- Have the package sent uninsured, its a risk ofcourse, but insurance is like a big fat neon-sign pointing out valuable items in a package.
- If value needs to be declared on the outside of the package, the lower, the better ("free sample" being the best).
- Split up large orders, 2 smaller packages are less likely to attract attention than "the big one". Plus that it is unlikely that both the small packages will get inspected, so if one of them is, you will still have the other one without the import tax.

Mark2

Enlightened
CPF's oldgrandpajack is another good source for Surefires, and he knows how to pack! Even if customs decide to open it, they'll probably change their mind after a couple of minutes of trying... ;)

Protaeus

Enlightened
I can definately agree with Mark2. Oldgrandpajack is the absolute killer for international Surefire sales. Infact, all but one of my surefires was purchased through him.

I can understand your hesitation in purchasing surefires as its much the same here in Sydney, Australia. The few shops that stock surefires are rediculously overpriced, selling A2 Aviators for $256 USD and U2s for $360USD...

However, once you get one, I think you'll change your mind - the build quality is excellent and even if you do send it back, it shouldnt take too much longer than within the US as the Surefire warrantys are both international and lifelong.

Netherland

Newly Enlightened
I believe all the good words about "oldgrandpajack" after some reading. Where does he gets his Surefire's, or do I have to wait untill he offers a specific one? (I don't want to bother him with stupid questions yet).