Oakland to Tax Fast-Food Places Over Trash

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Oh my. I guess most of the trash is in the poorer parts of the city. Is it the fault of the business if people don't properly dispose of the garbage?

Sue stores for murders.
Sue auto makers for vehicle deaths.
Sue cigarette makers for lung cancer.

CLHC

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
Can't they just jack up the tax rates for the idiots who litter?

That would be something if there was ever a way to "track" the litter bugs. Don't know, but maybe it was my early childhood rearing. We have always been taught to throw our trash in the proper trash can/receptacle. I do so till this day. I even have a small trash bag of some sort in my car for such purpose and then dispose of it when I fill up for gas or get home. Some people I tell you. . .

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fine them, or punish them like in Singapore/Hong Kong/other areas of high population but little to no mess on the streets.

I just don't get it as mentioned above, why tax the sellers when it is a problem with the buyers?

Just pisses me off that a select few morons who do not know how to clean up after themselves will make my food cost more when I can dispose of garbage into a trash can.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "litter problem" is just an excuse. Governments know that the people won't tolerate any more direct taxes. So, rather than try to learn to live with less money to buy votes with, they are adopting a new way to levy hidden taxes:

1. Look for a successful buisiness.
2. Figure out an excuse that shows they are an "undue burden on government services".
3. Raise taxes on those "evil" corporations/owners.
4. Force the cost of business to go up for the corporations/owners.
5. Who raise the cost they have to charge their customers.
6. The customers yell at the business instead of the government.

Either way, in the end more of our hard earned money goes to the bureaucrats who never seem to go without anything and we have to figure out how to live on what's left. And if you can't live on what's left and need help, you'll have to go to the government because nobody else can afford to donate to private charities once they pay their tax bills. Of course, then the government will need more taxes to meet the increased demand, and the whole cycle just keeps snowballing.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bless you. You figured it out. Unfortunately most people never will figure it out. I don't see any end to it.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
maybe it was my early childhood rearing. We have always been taught to throw our trash in the proper trash can/receptacle. .

I'll bet you had parents. The great majority of babies born in "inner cities" have no father and have an irresposible mother. It's difficult for these babies to acquire the thin veneer of civilization. These savages are the product of President Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society". This situation didn't occur until he created a huge "Welfare" government. These government programs make fathers irrelevant and an impediment to collecting money from the government.

metalhed

Enlightened
Maybe it will have the unintended effect of encouraging people to eat less fast food.

Maybe folks will buy more food items at the grocery store, and then cook them at home themselves.

Eating at home is (probably) healthier, (almost definitely) cheaper, and (if you can cook at all) much better tasting.

I've got to admit that for me, after 40+ years of eating the stuff, any incentive to quit fast food and eat better is welcomed.

Even if it is a 'hidden tax'. :laughing:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contrary to what some of the bigots and trailer-trash freaks may have posted in response to your thread, this is a common problem in many areas, including the upper middle-class neighborhoods, especially at fast food outlets that are near schools. Don't look for it to be isolated to Oakland, it can come to the South Bay or the Penisula cities as well. It's not limited to lower-income areas, it even occurs in Cromagnet's impoverished little town :).

CHC said:
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20060208/43e97ad0_3ca6_1552620060208-971927107

The above link is in regards to the city of Oakland, California which will start taxing fast-food restaurants in order to force them to pay for cleaning up the streets that are littered with their wrappers, containers, cups, etc.

Interesting. . .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same profile could also be said for skinheads. There's not as much of a difference as you might think.

eluminator said:
The great majority of babies born in "inner cities" have no father and have an irresposible mother.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
metalhed said:
Maybe it will have the unintended effect of encouraging people to eat less fast food.

Maybe folks will buy more food items at the grocery store, and then cook them at home themselves.

Eating at home is (probably) healthier, (almost definitely) cheaper, and (if you can cook at all) much better tasting.

I've got to admit that for me, after 40+ years of eating the stuff, any incentive to quit fast food and eat better is welcomed.

Even if it is a 'hidden tax'. :laughing:

I'm glad my parents figured that out early. The only time when we would eat fast food was when we were on vacation. We never went out to eat when we could eat at home. It was much cheaper and much better tasting.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local 711 is popular, and the kids go next door to drink and leave all their trash. Sometimes I want to take it all back to the 7 and dump it in their driveway, but somehow I think I might get in trouble.