Introducing "PTS2"

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been almost a year since the introduction of the PTS (Perfect Tri-Sink). In the LED world this is like an eternity.

I finally got time last December to do a complete overhaul of the PTS design to address the various issues that came up with the first revision.

=== Issues Commonly Brought Up ===
1. Use the PTS with 3x Luxeon V.
2. Hold the PTS down to the Mag bezel using screws.
3. E-can for the electronic converter.
4. Mag bezel height variation cause PTS to sit too high/low
5. Too much compression force from the lens pressing down the reflector causing damage to the LED.

Well, I heard all those concerns, and all of them were taking into consideration for the revision. So I took the work done on the PMS-K2 development and transfer the knowledge learns to the PTS2. I went all out with no expense spared in attempt to make a truly "Perfect Tri-Sink". So the following improvements were made.

=== Enhancements ===
1. Increase in overall mass of the heat sink. Since I can't change the width to depth ratio (standard in HS design), I tried to slap on as much material as possible to achieve the 2:1 ratio without compromising with the functionality.
a) PTS2-C (2.2oz) vs PTS-C(1.5oz) … 47% increase in weight
b) PTS2-D (1.7oz) vs PTS-D(0.7oz) … 143% increase in weight

2. Increase the surface area to bring that heat to the Mag exterior for convection and conduction cooling.
a) PTS2-C (7.170 sqin) vs PTS-C(3.969 sqin) … 81% increase in surface contact
b) PTS2-D (6.804 sqin) vs PTS-D(2.058 sqin) … 231% increase in surface contact

3. Provide an e-can for the electronics. E-Can size is based on hotlips/osink defacto standard.

4. Provide three pin hole locations for locking screw tap.

5. Threaded portion to screw down into the Mag head. This eliminates the necessity of tightening the lens retaining ring to compress the lens / reflector / LED. As an added bonus the threads will be able to compensate for the variation in the Mag bezel shoulder.
IMHO this addition is the greatest improvement for usability.

With the above enhancement I'm confident that this HS will be able to provide enough thermal transfer to the exterior surface so that we can now use 3x K2 or even 3x LuxV. The ball will now be thrown to the other side of the court, where the new problem is how do you get rid of all the heat buildup on the light exterior? Well the answer is quite simple how about some groovy head like what cmacclel have done. :wicked:

So with all that said let me present to you the latest addition … PTS2

pts2ccad4jo.jpg

pts2dcad3wb.jpg

pts2cactual7sv.jpg

pts2dactual0gm.jpg

=== Recommended Host / Batteries / Driver / LED combination ===
Mag2C / 2x18500 | C-LiIon / Fatman or Shark / 3xLuxIII
Mag3C / 3x18500 | C-LiIon / Shark / 3xLuxV
Mag1D / 4xAA / Fatman or Shark / 3xLuxIII
Mag1D / 4x14500 / nFlex / 3xLuxIII
Mag2D / 2xD-LiIon / Fatman or Shark / 3xLuxIII
Mag2D / 2xD-LiIon / Shark / 3xLuxIII
Mag2D / 8x14500 / Shark / 3xLuxV
Mag2D / 6|7xAA / Fatman or Shark / 3xLuxIII
Mag2D / 6|7xAA / Fatman or Shark / 3xLuxIII

* Listed in order of performance per size and level of difficulty
* Note LuxIII is interchangeable with K2 (when available as stars format)

=== Recognition ===
Special thanks Icarus for the design review and recommendation on the threaded enhancement.

markus_i

Enlightened
When? Where? How much?

Now I'll have to go to the basement and try to find the parts of that Mag switch that dropped beneath the bench when I disassembled that old Maglite...

Bye
Markus

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look Great Jonathan, glad to see you incorporated some of my ideas. :twothumbs

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merci mon frère for all the supportive comments.

Both of these units are currently ready for shipping.
The problem is I don't know how to price them. :thinking: Should I price them by $$$/oz, $$$/Surface Area, or $$$/R&D time & effort. Just kidding! :D If I do that you guys are gonna :duck::aaa::xyxgun::twak:

So how about $15/unit. I hope it won't make anyone :broke: since it'll be less than 20% of the upgrade cost.

I'll conduct a limited (small quantity/ 2 weeks time) introductory sales in hoping to see some new 500+ lumens finned Luxeons lights modding. (Sales Thread)

Due to my current work load I won't be able to handle all the order fullfillment like the last PTS/PQS run. So after this intro-sales, I'll probably ask the Sandwich Shop to help by carrying all these in their inventory.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm all for letting the Sandwich shoppe taking all the orders.

Will you making a new model of the PQS as well?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson: I'm waiting to get couple K2 before I finalize the design for PQS2. I want to make it so it's "universal" to save the setup cost.

Mike Painter: W-bin LuxV lumen ranges from 147.7 - 192.0 (average = 169.85). They can be found at The Sandwich Shop or by forum member PhotonFanatic

markus_i

Enlightened
modamag,

you set up the PTS2 for so20 reflectors. Nothing wrong with that, but I can't find the dimensions of these reflectors - and I'd like to use the 20 mm carclo optics (bigger choice in beam setup). So can you (or anyone else for that matter) answer me one of those questions:
- how high are the IMS 20mm reflectors?
- does the PTS2 work with 20mm Carclo optics with the hex holders?

Bye
Markus

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Markus,

The PTS2 will not work for optic.

I did however make an optic version PTS-D-TypeO which might work for you. It's significantly higher to accomodate for the optic height (or lack of).

Here are some info on various optics hope they help.

IMS SO20XA

Carclo 20mm optic

NX05 optic

Fraen optic