Silva L1

kiwi hunter

Newly Enlightened
I am keen on hearing real world reviews on the Silva L1. There doesn't seem to be many around so am trying to get a fresh heads-up on it. If any gripe exists it seems to be around the comfort factor (but I think I read that they had done a mod on the later units). Does comfort improve greatly if you wear a woolly hat...as most of the times I would need it when its cold...and thus I will be wearing something over the head.

The unit has true 3W luxeon, regulation, IPX6 waterproofing, comes with an external pack for C size batteries as well as the AA cases for the head. Seems to be one of the brightest around...so am curious to know what anyone thinks?

looking forward to some feedback :grin2:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiwi,

I have a Silva L1. has a great beam however here are my Pros and cons. (starting with the cons)

CONS
1. the head makes a hummming sound when turned on (both in low and high mode)
2. with the AA pack it is very uncomfortable even with a wool cap (I"m in Norway and it's been snowing alot lately)
3. button is a pain in the B:sssh: TT with gloves on and not easy without gloves either.
4. Not good for close-up use needs external LEDs for flood mode.
5. Expensive

PROS
1. great quality light
2. with the C adapter the comfort CON is gone (look I can rhyme)

I have since replaced my Silva (only had to use it twice) with the PT Apex (WOO HOO) which in my opinion is the best headlamp out there. It's VERY comfortable has the same 3W plus it has side LEDs for flood. My Apex gets used every night to go plow out my drive way while my Silva gets to watch from the warmth of the shelf looking out the window.

Doug

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Another pro: very good throw. This is the headlamp if you want incan throw with LED reliabiltity and runtime.
Plus it's easy to adjust (no ratchet).
But try before you buy; seems there are several sizes of headband around. It helps if you remove the buckle and sew the ends back together.

Mark.

kiwi hunter

Newly Enlightened
thanks so far, I was talking to one of my hunting mates...as he was also keen to get a new lamp...and by simply discussing the options - he just went a bought one.

I will hopefully grab it off him, and give it a test.

The thing that we are planning for, is a hunting trip down in Fiordland, New Zealand, and from the name...its called that because when it rains...it rains...we are talking in excess of 15 metres of rain...no inches here guys. so getting a solid waterproofing has become a real factor . The other thing is that having that powerfull spot punch-power is also important as the bush can be dense..(no track), so having 3W power that I can run for more than 20sec (petzl stuff) is also appealing.

We then have the ability to run lithium AA's and keeping the unit smaller and lighter and in the bumbag for a day sortie...but once back at camp...we can plug in the C size pack for longer power as we will be down there for 2 weeks so having the dual supply is again another pro.

I may have to work out a mod for comfort...and just deal with the humming, if its dark, and miserable...I probably won't care about it.

anyway...I'll write back once I give it a test...many thanks for you comments to date...and keep them coming if you do :)