over 1% of the power output of the Sun

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I was born in 1946 and this bomb gave me nightmares -- really. The press at the time was filled with reports that this and earlier bombs caused strontium-90 to accumulate in cows milk, causing thousands of unnecessary cancers in children. In a way, this bomb led to the termination of atmospheric H-bomb and nuclear testing. Fundamentally it's a small world and you don't want to **** in the bathtub.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was born too late to ever see an above ground test in person.

nuclear war has always been a scary thought to me.

there is a lot of links on that web page - a lot to read

I wonder how many of the 100Mt versions it would take to end all human life on earth ?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up with the cold war, america and the soviet union and others about to blow the world to kingdom come, with thousands of nuclear missiles.

I don`t think fear of few moslim fanatics are ever going to come even close to that.

people should go about their lives as normal, and don`t let them win.

sorry if this is off topic.

regards.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my High School history teacher telling us that by the middle of the Cold War, both the Soviets and the USA had enough bombs to blow up the world if detonated all at once.

Tsar bomba might sound like the ultimate weapon but I read that due to size, it was too impractical for actual use as it would be very difficult for transport across the ocean. The Soviets just made it to show how big of a bomb they could build just to scare others.

Last edited:

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the cold war, there were many Americans that believed we should strike the Soviets first with nuclear weapons; a pre-emptive attack.

I'm very glad that we did not. Instead, we used a policy of containment until the Soviet system collapsed under its own weight. Now, the Russian people are working their own way toward democracy without ever having to have been invaded and occupied by the U.S.

Anytime that we strike first, we must be absolutely certain of our facts and absolutely certain that our action will cause the outcome we want. Any country that invades another and then occupies that country will be hugely resented around the world and forces of resistance will spring up and continue until that occupier leaves. This is fundamental to human nature.

If a foreign power ever invaded our country (the U.S.), many people would consider themselves patriots and would do everything and anything to make that foreign power leave our land.