How to solder/unsolder?

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to take this star off to see what the board looks like and to find the bin type.

I don't have much soldering experience. Is it possible to damage the electronics on the converter or star by heat? Do I have to work fast?

The two wires are shown below.
AmiliteStar.jpg

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Taking it off will be easier but if you've not soldered before putting it back will be a problem.
Be aware that the unit may be glued to the heat sink.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you will find a bin code on that star, it is not a true Lumileds luxeon star.
As for desoldering it. Use a fine tip and heat the solder just long enough to free the wires. Keep the tip on the solder not the heatsink. Use a toothpick or similar to free the wires from the molten solder.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Just like Morelite said. Just make sure you don't touch anything other than the solder/wires. It'll happen eventually, but just try not to. :)
BTW: what light is that? It looks real nice except for the fake lux.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to get a soldering iron and are going to pursue removing the two wires, I would recommend you practice your soldering skills on something less expensive first. That way you will get some practice, and you will be confident in your soldering skills.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thumbrule I picked up years ago in Navy Electronic Technician Maintenance School to prevent heat damage (and I haven't toasted anything yet) :

Never apply the iron for more than 6 seconds at a time. If you don't get it soldered (or desoldered) in that time, pull the iron away, let it cool down, and try again.

Another hint, even when desoldering, is to put the end of the solder on the spot you're going to work, then set the iron on top of the solder. That tiny little dollop of solder that gets melted as you touch the iron to it helps form a heat bridge to your work and you should have no trouble with the 6 second rule.

And finally, a bigger blob does NOT make a better job.

kit

Newly Enlightened
Kryosphinx:
BTW: what light is that? It looks real nice except for the fake lux.

Its the Amilite NeoT3. I have one and had the star removed by Goldserve. He mentioned that it could be a lumileds but no marks on it. Not sure why...Wanted to have it modded with a FLUPIC, but didnt had much time at his house.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, whenever you're working with electronics, you pretty much want to get in and out fast. I use a 1.5mm bent chisel tip at 700F for most of my soldering. Desoldering from the pads doesn't require anything too fine. Not like soldering to vias or anything.

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
there are two specify tools you should get if you intend to do frequent electronic de-soldering:

1. there is a desoldering iron that has a spring loaded small piston that can blast the melt solder away.
2. They also sell a spool of bundled fine wire which can absorpt away the melt solder by capillary action.

Look up desoldering tools. they are not expensive. You will also find a tweezer useful.

finally, make sure you are using low melting point solder when you solder back your LED.

I assume you know that LED is polarized +-.

I assume you will be careful not to scratch the LED plastic.

dcarch8 :poke: