What are your top 5 games for PC?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I got some cash to toss at a Dell XPS M170 with the works... I was thinking of getting into gaming and wanted to know what your top 5 picks were... I have heard about Battle Field 2... what else? Let's hear it!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rainbow 6 Three Raven Shield/Athena Sword
Counter Strike Source
Doom 3
Call of Duty 2
Unreal Tournament 2004

I like my FPS :)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
America's Army (completely free)
I like Guild Wars, a Cooperative Role Playing Game. No monthly subscription fees.
Half Life 2 and of course Counter Strike.
Doom 3 with expansion pack
Dungeon Siege 2 looks promising, but I haven't played it yet.

What are you into? Role playing games, first person shooters (FPS), online RPG's or FPS's, racing games?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always about 2-5 years behind on games (hey, they're cheaper that way!) , but I've always enjoyed Diablo 2. Also have Battlefont 1, I'm sure BF2 is even better.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amen, my favorite games are GLquake (first game to support 3d graphics as we sort of know it now) and original half life.

Omega Man said:
I'm always about 2-5 years behind on games (hey, they're cheaper that way!) , but I've always enjoyed Diablo 2. Also have Battlefont 1, I'm sure BF2 is even better.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't play many PC games... but Nethack has got to be my all-time favorite. If there were one game I'd take on a desert island, Nethack would be it.

Since you asked for five, I'll just say I love SCUMM games.

Edit:
After seeing some of the games people have mentioned, it seems I left some things out: Worms, Starcraft, and BZflag.

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
F.E.A.R :rock: again

Half Life 2

Rainbow Six

Halo

Doom 3, San Andreas, Freelancer, Splinter Cell.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
Rainbow Six 3: Raven shield/ As too (didn't know there were so many players here on cpf, name is Unjustified_sol)
Day of Defeat: source
Counterstrike: source
Battlefield 2
Star craft

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't any of you guys find Doom3 to be constantly dark? A flashaholics dream yes, but not in a video game.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Age of empires 2 with expansion
UT 04
Might and magic (6,7,8,9 they're older but still great RPGs)
Elderscrolls 3 morrowind (soon 4 too)
Half life (all of em)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only pee-cee video game I got into at all was Wolfenstein 3-D.
One of the pictures on The LED Museum is actually a modified screen dump of one of the screens from that game.

Awwww why keep y'all guessing...

dgn3.jpg

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy - Doom3 is constantly dark, but the flashlight isn't that bad IMHO, better than most other games I played. Scare factor I guess, like the Silent Hill series.

Donovan

Enlightened
Half-Life (all versions)
Call of Duty (all versions)
Unreal Tournament (all versions)
FarCry
FEAR

The newest versions of the above games will really show off your new hardware. But don't be afraid to try older games as well. While they may not have the eye candy of the newer games a lot of the older ones actually have better gameplay. Doom3 is an excellent example. Doom3 is a great technology preview with awesome eye candy but the repetitive gameplay gets old really quick: Walk into dark room with light see monsters switch from light to gun shoot monsters rinse and repeat ad-nauseam.

I actually have a lot of fun playing some older games like Jediknight2 Outcast, Jedi Academy, Max Payne2, and Deus-Ex 1 and 2 (Just finishing up Deus-Ex 2 great game!) and even still play UT (UT99) online from time to time!

The gaming landscape has changed so much in the past few years. For the most part it is not for the better. There are only a few outstanding games among hundreds of mediocre to bad ones. So many dummed down ports of console games to the pc is one big reason (keep console games on a console!). Also, a lot of genres just aren't popular these days. I was a huge flight sim fan (loved all the Janes sims as well as Falcon) but almost no one is developing new ones. The same can be said for racing, golf and other sims of all types. I would also like to see cooperative multiplayer return to online games.

Last edited:

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Return To Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW), IL2 Sturmovik, Battlefield 2, Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix and Quake III Gold (in that order).