No insurance on international shipments?

Netherland

Newly Enlightened
There is no insurance available on international shipments. International packages are shipped at the sole risk of the buyer.

These lines are in the FAQ on Lighthound.com.

What if I order from them and the package, for some reason, never arrives?

simbad

Enlightened
That is the risk you have to take, I have ordered so many items from Lighthound including high price lights like HDS flashlights and I don't know how John manages to do it but his packages get to Spain in no more than 4-5 days through Global Priority Mail (not insured but registered). In my opinion is the best option.
If you order any item insured by Global Express Mail, FedEx or any other private carrier you will pay 20-25 dollars minimum for the shipping and the customs taxes when you receive the package (VAT 16-20% depends on the country) due to the value declared required for the insurance.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
FWIW, Lighthound is one honest to God good guy. He will send stuff out well packaged but would be obliged to put on the packet a customs declaration notice. This is in fact a double edged sword as the item's description and cost could be easily seen by would be thieves. However, it also acts as a deterrent to most folks, (don't ask me why?) as I've bought loads of stuff from different vendors in the States (without insurance) and never had a problem.

I would say though that if you are not prepared to take a 50/50 chance on it arriving safely then dont buy from uninsured sellers!

Doug

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound normally ships USPS who will not insure parcels outside their control -airline, airports outside the USA, customs, forign post offices etc.

Check with the courier companies in your country (fedex, UPS etc.). If they offer insurance for parcels from Texas to the Netherlands, you might ask Lighthound to ship with them.
Be aware courier shipments cost a lot more than the post office.
USPS parcel post USA to Canade ~$5 (from Lighthound)
USPS global express ~$9 (from Glowbug)
UPS global express ~$43 (Brightguy quote - I had to cancel the order)

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
even with insurance it would be a mission to claim the money in case it gets lost.
There are other opportunities of shipment.
UPS for example makes it possible to track every little movement the parcel does.

still cheaper than getting it for expesive in europe.

I understand your doubts and worries, netherlandsa. b4 i first ordered from the US to europe, i had the same.

wouldn't want to miss those deals anymore now and have not made any bad experience accept a delayed item.

greetz
bokkie

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truth be told, COMMERCIAL shippers, like Lighthound, are REQUIRED by law to complete the customs form and give an accurate estimate of the value of the goods, regardless of whether insurance is purchased. (Read the customs form required to be filled out to ship internationally).

Non commercial shippers, like hobbyists, are held to a different standard.

Be careful when shipping internationally.

Bill