Going away gift for the wife...

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm going on a two-week long business trip shortly, so the wife's going to be home alone. I'm one of those "Bert Gummer" types hahaha; plenty of provisions, radio gear, guns and ammo in the house. Sadly, the flashlight collection is the weak link, but since joining this site, becoming stronger.

I'm aiming to complete my first build (2C Maglite host, Lux 3, Downboy, 3x CR123) so my wife can have it while I'm away. Surefire's nice, but the thing about a Maglite is that it's a nice piece of lead pipe with a light on one end.

Anyhoo the Horror Fright mini lathe has been earning her keep today. So far I've made a perfect press-fit 3x CR123 adapter out of Delrin. It's a precise fit into the Maglite, and the CR123s are a precise fit into the adapter. Maybe a little too precise, because when you drop the batteries in, they slide down s-l-o-w-l-y on an air cushion.

I also made a holder for the Downboy out of 6061-T6. It snaps in place of the stock bulb holder. I posted a question about this in the electronics forum because I had a few questions about how the Downboy works.

Then there's the tail cap. The stock 2C spring is too large to make electrical contact to a CR123. I haven't finished this part yet, but the spring is getting replaced with an aluminum slug (FORTAL) that will have an alloy 360 plunger. The plunger will be spring loaded. Basically picture a plunger-type thumb push-button. This might also retain C-cell compatibility, but I don't know if two C cells will light a Lux 3.

Anyway. I bought all my parts (except the Maglite) from the Sandwich Shoppe. I have a Luxeon Star, but what I really wanted was the bare LED. If anyone has one they can sell me in a decent bin that they can ship ASAP please drop me a line.

Oooooh I can't wait to light that puppy up. Thanks for the bandwidth. I just wanted to brag a little about my new project. :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! Way to go on your mod Scott.CR! Let us know when you've accomplished your project and how it performs. . .Enjoy!