Inova green X5 vs T3 Images

mhawk

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I just got an inova x5 green led and a T3. My question is, as far as I can tell the x5 is much brighter than my t3? It projects much farther and is brighter overall... is this because the t3 is a white led, and the green x5 just shows up better?

Last edited:

bikeg

Newly Enlightened
Re: Inova green X5 vs T3

Im with Polar on this one.
Check your batts.
I use My X5T in building searches when I run alarms, due to the fact I can flood a small room with it, T3 should outthrow that X5 even at its worse day with almost null batterys.
I would use the T3 in exterior searches etc because it has throw.

IonFire

Enlightened

So what did you find out, was it dead batteries, like Polar suggested?

Kinda scary to think of a X5 out throwing a T3.:crackup:

IF

mhawk

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the fast replies. Ok so here is what I did. First I used the default duracell ultra's that came with them, then I switched the sets between the two. Later after my 4 RCR123a's had charged I used those between them as well.

When used against my roommates there was disagreement between what was brighter. One said the X5 the other the T3. So I took some pictures that I'll post as soon as I figure out how. When I went for a walk last night, the throw distance seemed comparable, then again there was plentiful ambient light (suburban seattle). So far I'm iffy if the t3 was a good buy, the quality seems superlative, but not quite as bright as I thought it would be. The x5 on the other hand has really surprised me. I've found it works as a night reading light, just aim it at the ceiling and the glow is enough to read comfortably under.

Anyways I'll post those pics quickly.

mhawk

Newly Enlightened

The X5 aimed head on

img20268vo.jpg

T3 aimed head on

img20279st.jpg

T3 aimed at wall

img20336xn.jpg

X5 Aimed at wall

img20348gr.jpg

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened

Uh, if those are 3.7 volt lithium-ions it might not be a good idea to use them in those lights...

And unless the green X5 is alot brighter than the white one, it should be nowhere close to the T3.

mhawk

Newly Enlightened

They are RCR123A 3v 680mAh, I was told they were good to use with LED, is that correct?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
A T3 wall shot is supposed to look like this:

t3stock2ot.jpg

Try using a known-good set of primary CR123As in your T3. Inova's CR123A lights don't like rechargables much and many of the RCR123As on the market are junk anyway.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you are using recharables, so you are overdriving the X5 A LOT. THe T3 has regulation circuitry that regulates the power to the luxeon led, that's why it's not being overdriven like the X5. The X5 only has simple resistors made for the normal votlage of 3 disposable 123a's which is 6 volts.

Rechargable lithiums can have from 4.2-3.7 volts. So x2= 7.4-8.4!! Poor leds in the X5 will soon expire. The T3 will fare better, if the regulator can handle the extra voltage. It is protecting the luxeon led so far..

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
why can't you take a picture of them both together side by side!!!! digital cameras WILL change the aperture size and the film speed automatically. AND THAT IS WHY IT ISN"T FAIR. get it?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like he's using the new 3.0V regulated lithium ion rechargables, not the 3.6/7 volt ones.

The human eye is most sensitive to light around 555nm wavelength, which is green light. Thus, if you have 2 lights of equal wattage, one being green, the green will appear brightest to our eyes.

That's probably why your green X5 seems brighter than your white T3.

http://www.amastro.org/at/ot/othcs.gif

Last edited:

mhawk

Newly Enlightened
Here are my batteries. I'm really confused about the volt thing... the only warning I noticed was not to put them in a surefire. But I didn't buy a surefire and figured they would be fine. If it helps the beams look the same using duracell ultra's. Will these rechargeables burn out my lights? What about use for single cell 1st gen+ NVG's?

img20390nz.jpg

Here is the side by side shot.

img20406al.jpg

Thanks for all your help.

Delvance

Enlightened
A T3, in healthy condition, should stomp all over an X5. My T3 has no problems throwing a white beam 150 feet+. Something an X5 shouldn't be able to do at all. If you've tried 2 diffrent sets of lithium batteries in the T3 and it's no good, perhaps the T3 is faulty ?

T3 is a great light (quality, cost, output and beam wise) and comes with a limited lifetime warranty with Inova. Apparently, Inova are pretty good with warranty claims.

If you have a lux meter, perhaps you can measure the lux of the X5 and T3 for some number comparison. A T3 should be around 2000lux give or take, an X5...hrmm, maybe 100 give or take.

Might want to keep your photos limited to 800 width (not trying to be smart/patronising).

Keep us updated! :)

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a green Inova X5 two years ago and I remember it being unusually bright, probably due, at least in part, to our visual sensitivity to green. My green cheapo keychain light also seems to be brighter than the keylights I modded with 26cd led's.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, it doesn't look like you have a real T3 at all. Check if you have bought a fake or a clone by mistake. Inovas are one of the most copied flashlights these days.

Why am I saying this? Well, it's not just because of the overall brightness shown on your pics, because even if you had a legit T3 with a faulty LED/circuit, the beam pattern is a LOT different than anything that usually comes out of a real TIROS lens.

Check EnLIGHTnment's beamshots, that's exactly how a T3 beamshot should look like.(Well, minus the greenish tint...:grin2:)

mhawk

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm pretty sure its a Inova T3, it came in the box, looks exactly like it and came from batteryjunction.com. they are pretty reputable right? I'm wondering if my perception is just screwed up because of the lighting in here... so tonight I'm going on a night hike to test it out in complete darkness, hopefully this will reveal throw better than in the streets. I tested and the output is the same with the rechargables and the default duracells. I studied that beamshot a long time, and mine does look like that, but only from about 3-4ft, then after that only the center is visible. Those pictures were from about 12 ft away from the wall.

No one has answered if the pictured batteries will damage the t3 or x5.... BTW thanks for the info and I'll keep future pictures smaller.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
mhawk said:
I studied that beamshot a long time, and mine does look like that, but only from about 3-4ft, then after that only the center is visible.

Indoors, at night, with all lights off and the curtains closed, the spill rings from a T3 should still be visible at 15 feet or more.

Can you get a lux reading from your T3? You should get around 2000 lux @ 1 meter. If you get substantially less, your light is probably a dud.

As for the green tint in my beamshot, that's an artifact of my camera. It doesn't do white balance for LED sources all that well.

mhawk

Newly Enlightened
Ok I messed with the camera and this pic is from 10 feet away.
img20477ve.jpg

I'm starting to think maybe my experience with tac flashlights is skewed because I tried out my dad's and it was incredibly blinding. It was a surefire something.... anyways thanks for all your help, but what about the rechargeable batteries?