SL TL-3 Bulb problem. Help!

zehnmm

Enlightened
I need your advice! I have a Streamlight TL-3. The problem is that sometimes the Xenon bulb comes loose in the head. I have searched this issue in the CPF forums and various others have noted the same problem.

When it first happened, the bulb quit working. I have put in the 2nd bulb and carefully screwed on the head with the batteries in and the tailcap screwed all the way, so I could judge the beam --- following the lead of another thread I found from my search. For now, I plan to leave the blankety-blank thing alone and only use the tail-cap.

The aggravating thing about this is that I loose the ability to focus the head with any degree of reliability at all.

My question: Should I contact Streamlight and see if they will do something, like replace the head? Or should I try something else?

Thanks!!

:hairpull:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
zehnmm,
...I had the same problem when I got my Tl-3. The problem is that there is a little red rubber like ring at the back of the reflector and it small enough that it grabs the bulb. I am afflicted with the need to adjust and then readjust ANYTHING that can be adjusted. I adjusted mine so much that it pulled the bulb out and of course it ended up inside the reflector. There are posts here on the forum that descibe getting the bulb out of the reflector with small needlenose pliers. I tried for awhile with no luck and then decided to remove the red rubber ring to get easier access to the bulb. That worked but my light now does not have the red rubber ring. My TL-3 works fine without that red rubber ring in the reflector but I suspect that if you smacked the light straight on hard enough from the front the bulb would come loose. I slightly adjusted (theres that problem of mine again) the pins on the bulb apart a little further so that they have a little tighter fit in the bulb holder. This light works great with a pair of AW's 17500 rechargeable cells. I tried it with the Carley 1499 bulb but the protection circuit in the batteries seems to kick in to keep the bulb from lighting up everytime. I guess it will have to get by with the stock bulb until I get some unprotected 17500s.
jc

zehnmm

Enlightened
jclarksnakes: Thanks much for taking the time to share your experience with me. Right now the light is working, in that I have set the head in one place and do not plan to move it. I was able to get my bulb out by removing the red rubber gasket and have put it back in place. This was not exactly an easy trick, in that I spent a bit of time tinkering with it. It looks like I will call Streamlight Monday and see what they say. I lost one bulb because it fell in the reflector/head area and apparently broke. Maybe they will at least replace the bulb.

I, too, am running AW's 17500's and do like that option (which I will not tell Streamlight....) I am also running 2 17500's on a VG3 body with KL1 LED head and I like that too. I have not done any runtime tests yet, but it looks like I should get at least 8 hours of run time on the KL1.

My use of the TL-3 is a bed-stand, check out the bump-in-the-night, walk the dogs, or whatever boogey-man fear that might happen. I do really like it. For $48, the value is good, assuming that the light continues to work as I have currently rigged it.

Again, thanks and best wishes!!

GChase

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if you are supposed to do this, but I put a very light coat of silicone grease around that red o-ring and it solved my problem.The bulb has not blown out yet.

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
zehnmm said:
I need your advice! I have a Streamlight TL-3. The problem is that sometimes the Xenon bulb comes loose in the head. I have searched this issue in the CPF forums and various others have noted the same problem.

When it first happened, the bulb quit working. I have put in the 2nd bulb and carefully screwed on the head with the batteries in and the tailcap screwed all the way, so I could judge the beam --- following the lead of another thread I found from my search. For now, I plan to leave the blankety-blank thing alone and only use the tail-cap.

The aggravating thing about this is that I loose the ability to focus the head with any degree of reliability at all.

My question: Should I contact Streamlight and see if they will do something, like replace the head? Or should I try something else?

Thanks!!

:hairpull:
You can read a similar story here involving a Streamlight. The outcome is pending.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, lightlust. Interesting. I think I will call Streamlight tomorrow and see what they can do.

Doubledutch: So far, I have not done any runtime statistics tests. To my eyes, the brightness is about the same with the rechargeables, compared to the 123's. I would guess, without having done the actual test, that I should get about an hour of runtime with the 17500s.

Regards

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Thanks zehnmm and Paul.

After some experience with RCR123's, I think I may try this combo next. Lights with runtimes of 20-30 minutes have a great wow-factor (and I'll definitely keep them), but are hardly practical. An hour sounds good, especially guilt-free and a more level output. Cheers.

By the way, last night I dreamt up a flashlight! It strongly resembled an Innova T3, but it was three stage, and the body consisted of a translucent tube with christals in it that alternately glowed in all colours of the rainbow. Weird! A three stage nuclear Luxeon? Talk about lucid dreams.

Nope, hadn't been drinking. Only watched part of the first Star Wars movie the night before, and was seriously tempted by Wayne's offer of 4 Blaster 3P's. Maybe this accounts for a strange mixture in the subconscious.

Kees

zehnmm

Enlightened
First, thanks to all who have posted!

This morning, I called Steamlight and talked to Gary in repair (who, by the way, was very pleasant to talk to.) He advised me to send the light in (minus batteries and lanyard.) I have done just that. He stated that they turn-around warranty repairs within 5 business days after their receipt. I had to pay to send it ($4.55 priority with confirmation via USPS); but they will send it back on their dime. So, for about 2 weeks, I will be out my light.

Not to fear, though, because I am stricken with the flashaholic syndrome, I have other lights.

Sigh.

Regards!