MagLite news, they will be offering LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
Great news Surfire Fenix and other companies will probably go under because of this. Best flashlights in the world will now be even better.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knifemaster said:
Great news Surfire Fenix and other companies will probably go under because of this. Best flashlights in the world will now be even better.

Umm, can you explain your comment?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess we will have to wait and see if they do a better job of making this light compared a modded one that is put together here. And then we will have to see the price.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knifemaster said:

no

-David

Greg

Newly Enlightened
I highly doubt that companies such as Surefire will have a problem because of Mags new product line. For all we know, they could possibly be introducing 5mm leds and not luxeons, it's really not that clear in that press release. In which case, they might as well have not introduced a new product at all.

Greg

Navck

Enlightened
Nah, expect a solitare piece of junk with a 5mm.
Anyways, if they break the LED portion, lets say some people may go crazy and snap.
M*ggotlites suck, untill you mod them, then they're not from M*G

Last edited:

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Sorry, KnifeMaster, I'm with Greg here. SF won't go belly up.

I know that this was probably written by a PR person and not anyone in engineering, but because of the fact that it took them this long, it had better be good (I hope).

How (and why) do you think they plan on making them focusable?

CLHC

Flashaholic
MAG LED—Interesting. . .Looking forward to seeing that early 2006.

Also, maybe the comment by the above member might have been made in jest or possibly due to being chided by said manufacturers?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Heh, how long before Mag starts some more "innovation via lawyers"....

i used to like Mag, but after reading about their microsoftian anticompetitive strategies and lawsuit-happy legal crew, i've lost all respect for the company, yes, they make a good, solid product, but the company's lawsuit-happy behavior makes me reconsider further purchases from them.....

"oh look, it's using an LED, we thought of that first, lets sue 'em!"

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at this point I think all anyone can say is that it's an interesting development. As far as driving anyone out of business, I doubt it. As far as the solitaire being converted to an LED, probably. Saying it will be crap ........ who knows, we'll have to wait and see about any of the products they come out with. MagLite does have the clout to do pretty much whatever they want to. They might come out with some pretty nice stuff too. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

All I know is that I did not start this thread to have people bashing MagLite or more importantly other members. If this thread degenerates into name calling and company bashing I hope the moderators lock it quickly.

Also, seems a lot of folks around here who bash MagLite also buy MagLite's to modify them. So please, lets not get into this.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect initial entries will be 5mm leds with models equivalent of the Solitaire, 2AAA, and 2AA.

I would be surprised to see a C or D luxeon at this point, but you never know. My hope if for a C and D luxeon III Maglite, and one 2AA Luxeon III Luxeon Maglite.

I also doubt Mag will offer regulation, they just want to sell to the (cheap) general public, NOT the flashaholic type a people that will fork over big bucks for the best equipment money can buy.

Last edited:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
...right after I give out maglites to everyone for christmas...they finally...after ten years, update their line...
...If I hang myself from a larnyard tonight, I want you guys to have all these now obsolete stock Mags. Crappiest last will and testament ever.

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexSchira said:
...right after I give out maglites to everyone for christmas...they finally...after ten years, update their line...
...If I hang myself from a larnyard tonight, I want you guys to have all these now obsolete stock Mags. Crappiest last will and testament ever.

Maglite will continue making the incandescent models, police needs them for throw ability that the leds currently don't have. Your incandescent Mags you gave out will NOT be obsolute, and you will still be able to get parts and bulbs for them. The way I sees it, this is just another product line for Maglite, NOT an attempt to kill their current product lines.

I just hope that all this research time pays off, and that the product is good. I can NOT say that I am a fan of their incandescent line (**** poor beam quality, and lousy runtime curve my opinion says)

CLHC

Flashaholic
357 said:
My hope if for a C or D luxeon III Maglite, and one 2AA Luxeon III Luxeon Maglite.

With the MagLite name and said Luxeon LEDs would be interesting to see. There is another smaller company already producing quality flashlights like what you're hoping to see in a C and D w/Luxeon III & V right off the production line. Just received their catalog and it "looks" well built. . .Nice I say!

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
With the MagLite name and said Luxeon LEDs would be interesting to see. There is another smaller company already producing quality flashlights like what you're hoping to see in a C and D w/Luxeon III & V right off the production line. Just received their catalog and it "looks" well built. . .Nice I say!

What company is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.