Life while drinking mainly water

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consume a lot of fluid a day and drink a range of drinks. quart of fluid for 2 protein shakes. Quart of gatorade, quart of coke or pepsi for the caffeine, 16 ounces of OJ, 16 ounce creatine shake, some days 2 cups of coffee, maybe an extra 16-24 ounces of OJ.

I drink this base on how I feel. Based on energy, thirst level, activity, etcs.

So, bosses daughter riped on me for drinking cola, so I tried water in place of cola.

For one thing, I filled up faster when eating. I didnt still fell hungry after I ate. Many times I would drink twice the amount of water as I felt like i had nothing.

One think I noticed about the third or fourth day was that I went to urinate less and each time it was nearly clear. Normally I urinate 10 times or so a day, every 2 hours and it varies in color to nearly clear by days end. Also energy seemed a but lower and more stable. It didnt ramp up and down like it normally did with the cola intake.

So, I will drink water with meals, but still sip on cola outside of meals. I find I like the pep on demand, but also feeling full after I eat and making a few trips to the bathroom.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For about three months last year I consumed roughly the same amount and kinds of fluids you listed, and that's all I had to "eat". I would eat one or two meals of solid food per week, otherwise it was all liquid. In addition I would also have some watered down chicken soup several times a week. I lost 30 lbs in three months doing that with little loss of energy. I was still consuming 1000-1200 calories a day. Not a great long term diet solution, but for short term weight loss, it worked great for me.

-Keith

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have thought about trying to give up coffee and caffeinated soft drinks (diet Pepsi in my case) in order to try to even out the mood swings and energy level but especially during the week when working long hours, it's really hard to get going in the morning without caffeine. Weekends when I sleep a lot, it's ok.

Any recommendations on a more natural energy booster? I don't really like the nervous type feelings given to me when taking ginseng or other types of herbs like that. In addition to energy level swings, I tend to have mood swings that I would love to try to even out somewhat to get a more consistancy about how I feel about things.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I drink about roughly a gallon of water a day. Don't know, but I do. I LOVE coffee and Coca Cola (I know it's bad) which I'll drink pretty much on a daily basis. . .

Sometime ago, I read about the drinking a quart of water first thing in the morning routine before doing anything. I thought I read that it was some practice that originated from India. Does anybody know about that or it's purpose and does it work?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caffeine in your coffee is perfectly natural :)

Anything you take to alter your mood, natural or not will cause you to swing up and down, there is no body drug that doesn't have other effects as well.

Should try eating a decent breakfast with your coffee and watch the empty sugar. You already say that you're drinking diet soda, so perhaps just sugar isn't the problem. Make sure you get enough protien and non-sugar carbs. You might also try eating a couple of smaller meals during the day rather than a big breakfast and a big lunch. That has helped me at least, but i kept drinking my cup of coffee in the morning, just dont drink a whole pot anymore :)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped drinking soda about 10 or 11 years ago, and I'm really glad I did. It was a convenience, I'd sit in my parents basement, walk a few feet to the back room, get a can. Easier than constantly making the trip upstairs to fill a glass of water. I contribute the amount of weight that's disappeared since then, about 40 lbs, to drinking only water all day. I ALWAYS have a cup of water next to me, from the moment I brush my teeth in the morning, to the remaining I dump before bed. I love to start my day with OJ, it's really the best thing to pass my lips first thing in the morning. I never had a taste for coffee, so I almost never drink it. I do like tea alot, and drink 1 cup about 3-5 times a week.
I agree that a full glass of water before/accompanying a meal will fill you up faster, and keep you from eating too much and feeling bloated. You'll eventually urinate extra water way faster than eating too much food, and feeling uncomfortable.
I cringe watching friends drink only Mountian Dew and colas.
One thing I'll say, and I don't know if this is from drinking water so much, or the reason I do it, but I'll get dry mouth very quickly and badly if I can't get a a drink of water every few minutes.

I advocate switching your morning beverage from coffee to OJ. It's got a real *zing* when it's the first thing to hit your tounge, and it cuts through that nasty "morning-mouth/tongue".

TBY

Newly Enlightened
I prefer to drink water over other beverages. It's cheaper and better for you than most drinks. I pay 20-25 cents a gallon for properly filtered water. I have 2 five gallon water bottles at my disposal. Drinking mainly water can cut down on teeth staining and cavities! As you know, being properly hydrated is good for your health also. Proper hydration can flush out or cleanse your body and transfer nutrients better. At times I also drink 100% natural fruit juice and occassionly red wine. I am kind of a health nut. I try to drink, eat, sleep, and exercise right. It pays off to invest in yourself.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dirnk 8+ cups of green tea from Teatech ..each cup has the benefits of 8 brewed cups..

No as much caffine as my cup of coffee an hour but much more stable energy levels...no caffine hangover....

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alternative to regular Colas is "Dr. Tima's Honey Cola", which tastes like regular cola (I like it more, actually), but only uses natural ingredients and is sweetened with honey, instead of sugar, making it a little more mellow on the blood sugar (doesn't spike it as much as refined sugars). Also, it doesn't have any caffeine in it.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Omega Man said:
I advocate switching your morning beverage from coffee to OJ. It's got a real *zing* when it's the first thing to hit your tounge, and it cuts through that nasty "morning-mouth/tongue".

I thought that I was the only one who liked OJ in the morning and noticed that.
Orange juice right away in the morning, and I mean right away, is really good.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Speaking about water. Any bottled, filtered, purified, RO, or tap drinkers? I know it's a preference of taste. . .I prefer bottled mountain spring type of water.

Also, as a tea drinker myself, The People's Republic of Tea has some excellent selections. . .

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
During these days, I usually drink 1 bottle (one that I refill) of tea (Trader Joe's unsweetened green and black), sweetened with agave nectar, and 2 bottles of spring water (usually Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser). If I happened to finish the water, then I usually refill it with the water at work (filtration). The filtration water tastes prettty good.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drink caffeinated water. As much as I can force down my throat. The caffeine is a mild appetite suppresant and I think increases my metabolism. I'm down about 60 lbs now from when I started drinking it. My BMI has gone from "obese" to well within the "normal" range. :) I can't get more than 10 minutes from a toilet though... :laughing:

A little while ago I got a hair cut for the first time in about 4 months, the same amount of time I lost most of the weight. When I got home and looked in the mirror I literally did not recognize myself!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
Also, as a tea drinker myself, The People's Republic of Tea has some excellent selections. . .
Republic of Tea has turned me into a tea snob! It's one of the only teas I'll buy.
Earl Greyer is my weakness, and my love. The chai ain't bad either.
So glad to see someone else knows that brand.

BATTERY CHARGER said:
A little while ago I got a hair cut for the first time in about 4 months, the same amount of time I lost most of the weight. When I got home and looked in the mirror I literally did not recognize myself!

Try cutting 10" off :naughty: I laughed everytime I caught a glimpse of myself, for about a month.

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive recently switch from coffee to oj. Seems the sugar and what else is in OJ does a bit more than the caffeine in coffee.

I just drink tap water. Thats after I first consume the deer park brand thats in the bottles I refill on a weekly bases.

I like red bull and monster for energy drinks, but I cant afford to drink them daily. I just get them off and on.

Samoan

Enlightened
Cobb,

I assume that your docs have checked your blood sugar? A couple things you mentioned in your initial post *sound* like the beginning of diabetes. I was diagnosed daibetic about a year and a half ago.

While you were reading off the things you drink during the day I started cringing as I added up the sugar in my head. While OJ is not empty calories like the soda, it has an amazing amount of sugar in it. It's something I loved that I can no longer have.

It would make sense that you didn't have to urinate as much once you cut the sugar out. Many times excessive urination is the first identifiable symptom of diabetes. It's your body trying it's best to flush as much glocose as possible as it is not processing it quickly enough.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting stuff Samoan. I like water alot too, but sadly I drink something with caffinee in it almost every morning. I blame school starting to early :D. after about 7AM I'm all about water and try to drink at least 3 full nalgenes a day.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, got my blood sugar tested and it came back fine, likewise with the cholestrol, liver function, etc.

Having low blood sugar is a difficult thing to manage. Rather I weighed 190 or 322, its the same in behavior. Basically you need to eat or sip to keep it up. I use toeat large meals and small ones every 2 hours. Either way my pants just kept getting tighter and tighter. I found the alternative way is to sip something sweet with caffeine. Diet colas or water wont do it and can guarantee a crash at the least suspected moment. Nothing like to get up to walk to the bathroom and feel yourself going into shock with no warning and having to wait at least 15 minute to recover.

Basically I eat two large meals and sip the rest of the day. I know many have suggested to snack, eat every 2 hours, etc, but that doesnt cut it for me.