Surefire's KL4 module + E1E, does this work?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't say anything in their website, they state that only the KL1 module is compatible with the E1 Executive. Will the one CR123 body have enough juice to run the KL4 with decent performance??

Does anybody have this combo? If so, how's...

- Regulation?
- Runtime?
- Runtime after regulation drop-off
- Brightess??

The Surefire's one cell body is the only size (in their line) I consider acceptable as an EDC light, so I'm planning to get one of this cute lights plus the KL4. How's this light as an EDC, will it outperform the Fenix L1 in overall brightness? The Peak Caribbean?? (I'm not looking for throw). The KL1 doesn't look very appealing to me, on the other hand, the KL4 looks quite promissing...
:thanks: in advance

Pictures would be very welcome! LOL

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand, SOME of the KL4s will run on 3v, and some won't. Depends on the Vf of the LED. That may have changed by now, I'm not entirely sure, but my KL4 will do it, and it rocks the socks off my other lights! And there's other size options too, like the Aleph body and tailcap, VG body and tailcap, etc.. Well worth looking into...

gunspepper

Newly Enlightened
My kl4 head and e1e body work just fine.

Ans if you stick a rechargable cell in there, HOLD on, it becomes a real pocket rocket.
Although the runtime is a little short:naughty:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunspepper said:
My kl4 head and e1e body work just fine.

Ans if you stick a rechargable cell in there, HOLD on, it becomes a real pocket rocket.
Although the runtime is a little short:naughty:

How short?

How's the brigthness on the 3V non-rechargeable? (Lumens?) And with the rechargeable CR123 ?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with any of those lights - they're all great and should serve you well as an EDC. As for whether the KL4 will work on the E1e body, I think ACMarina got it right: from everything I've heard, it's a crap-shoot.

One quick note, though - if size is important to you, the Peak Caribbean is definitely smaller than either the Fenix L1P or the E1e. In fact, it's absolutely tiny when you get it with the pocket-style body. The runtime's phenomenal too, almost 2 hours regulated. (QuickBeam, from FlashlightReviews.com, named it the single best light on his whole site!) If no one close by to you owns one, order one from Peak. They have a 30-day return policy. =) (I'm not advocating "renting" it at Peak's expense; I'm pretty convinced that if you try it, you'll be so enamored that you'll keep it!).

Good luck on the E1 - it's a great light!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a popular combo, known in the past as a TW4 when sold by Tactical Warehouse. There should be some data on this, but I can't find it (and search seems impotent). It's my EDC (but with an Aleph 1x123 tube and Aleph 2 stage tail).

Ditto on Surefire not supporting this combination as not all KL4s would work on a 3v CR123, but no one seems to have a problem on one rechargeable 4.2v RCR123 LiIon.

20 mins. regulated sounds about right for a 4.2v LiIon, then it dims for an hour or so (I recall) until my protected cell shuts off abruptly at about 2.5 volts.

I don't recall what happens on a normal 123 cell, but on the LiIon, for 20 minutes you get A HUGE FLOOD of light, as the KL4 is well known for. I think its rated at 65 lumens. And it gets hot. The Aleph 2 stage tailcap neatly makes this light practical by allowing a low mode.

Some folks have complained about a donut hole in the beam (dark center) and color of the LED.

rikvee

Enlightened
This is the light combo that will make even the most reserved person utter expletives!
Here's a pic of my "working pair", I use 'em on a neck lanyard and in between my teeth, as a soundman I'm always in the dark....

Image021.jpg

The best flood out of an insanely small package, about 20 min on one R123, but what a glorious 20 min they are....

A Vital Gear FB1 body makes this even smaller, and a SF F04 beamshaper makes it even more holographically floody.

Last edited:

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I've owned 5 KL4's (3xL4's & 2 spare heads) and every one works just fine on a single 123. I've used them with every combination of FB tubes (2xAA -1x123 and 3x123) and E1 tubes. In every case, the only difference I've found on a single 123 is the size of the center darkening and the runtime, no real difference in brightness between the heads.

A Single 123 provides a solid 1.5 hours of bright light before flickering starts.

2 x AA Alkalines run an easy 2+ hours

2 x AA Lithiums give 3+ hours

3 x 123 works and it's really, really bright; probably well above 120 lumins. But I cooked one KL4 head in less than 5 minutes (flicker, flicker, gone).

I DO NOT recommend the 3x123 combo. I can tell you that it's BRIGHT indeed; at least for a little while; then it becomes just a decoration, not a flashlight.

I still EDC a KL4 running on a single 123 (E1/KL4) daily; it's the standard by which every other light must be judged.

Highly recommended.

Al

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using a KL4 + Vital Gear FB1, with a R123, it will run on CR123 and it seems that most will but its a just a little bit hit and miss.

I use this as one of my EDC's and think it works well, but I've also got a backup handy as well as some primary cells at hand. I'm thinking of getting a KL1 head or the E1L to have a swap around particularly with the Aleph 2 stage tail.

overall its a good companion to my HDS,

Mark

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they work? You bet your *** they work!!Here is a pair of TWINS I have
twins.jpg

Not only do they work but they happen to be very very close tint wise.
You bet it works. Ket a kl1 while you are at it then you have a wide and a lond throw as a combination this cannot be beat. It is like adult legos. You can build what ever you want with theese.
!HAVE FUN!!
Yaesumofo

alberto

Enlightened
Here are my twins: E1e/KL1 (4th gen) and E1e/KL4 both running on R123s. Z57 switch on E1e/KL1 modified for 2-stage operation. Like the throw of the KL1 and flood of the KL4.

pair.jpg

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
Do they work? You bet your *** they work!!Here is a pair of TWINS I have
twins.jpg

Not only do they work but they happen to be very very close tint wise.
You bet it works. Ket a kl1 while you are at it then you have a wide and a lond throw as a combination this cannot be beat. It is like adult legos. You can build what ever you want with theese.
!HAVE FUN!!
Yaesumofo

WORD. UP!!!

I got both on VG 1x123 bodies, love throw but you need flood too, won't be
let down with a KL-4 or KL-1.

I have pretty much gone to either a good multi level light (HDS, B-60 my main EDC) or lego SF/Mcgizmo/vital gear way depending on need. VDG