Aurora 1.5W worth getting or not?

light321

Newly Enlightened
Hello

Has anyone got the Aurora 1.5W ALJ-311L? If so please post comments on this light, is it worth getting or can i get better and brighter for the money? also the Nuwai ALX 352 is this one a good light?

Thanks

Last edited:

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
If that is the same one, I think it is a good deal, especially now that it's only half priced at Target. I got me one. It has no sidespill, so it is mostly a special purpose light with long throw. It makes a good replacement for a 2D conventional light without the bulk. That's the way I see it.

thezman

Enlightened
I'm with B@rt on this one. Not a very useful light, ok for $10, but even with its tight beam it's not a throw monster. Just doesn't have enough oomph..

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
marginal at best: bluish, no spill at all etc. great for a kid, or backup for a grandparent etc.

bguy

Newly Enlightened
I bought a RR 2AA at Target a month ago, and returned it.

The very well defined spot was ok, but very blue, and much bluer at the edge. I thinkPlus, compared to a Coast 7736 1.25W, and an Axshop 1W 3AAA, I didn't think it was better. At $10, it would almost be tolerable since it uses 2 AAs.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Even at Target's bargain basement pricing on the RR 2AA, I still wouldn't advise buying one.

I'll still hold to my earlier comments on previous threads that this light's beam is completely worthless. A lighted match would be an improvement.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I dissagree on that. I have both the 2XAA and the 2XC. I think they are both great lights. They out-do my Dorcy Metal Gear 1.5w by a ways. Our front yard is pretty big, its atleast 50-75 yards to the highway and I can see what is up there in the grass next to the highway with mine. Its not real bright but bright enough to see. It is very dark out here in the country so that probably helps too. I like the color of the light and the perfect circle of the beam. For the price, they are pretty good. Great for indoor use too.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaron1100us said:
.. For the price, they are pretty good. ..

I agree and bought 5 of the River Rock 2AA lights at $9.88 each. One is in each vehicle, one is in the house which I also use when putting the dog out back, and 2 for spares/lending. My wife uses hers each week at work while performing inspections.

Their narrow spot beam is good for certain uses and poor for others. It is not a jack of all trades and I wouldn't buy them at $20 each.

I prefer the much whiter tint and wider spill of my TLE-5 modified 2AA Mini Maglite with UCL lens, but that combination cost over 3 times the price of the $9.88 River Rock and the 2AA River Rock easily throws further.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reviewed the ALJ-311L here (123A model):

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1265489&postcount=1

I've since switched it from my shelf-queen to my weekend car light as it's got ok output for use while changing a tire or working on my car on the side of the road, good throw for checking who/what's around you, and long runtime. I purchased it as a present originally, but late delivery caused it to be part of my collection. For the price, I'd recommend the Nuwai ALX-2611X instead for a much more usable beam.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried a couple and found them not to be nearly as bright as some Lux 1 lights, they also projected a narrow blueish spot.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I think the Sam's Element 1w 3aaa Luxeon lights are a much better deal at $12 each ($24 for a twin pack). The beam on it has a generous throw and plenty of spill compared to the RR 2AA. Much easier to click switch on the Element as well.