Advanced RFID Applications

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Creepy, and wrongheaded.

This is even dumber than making you carry RFID embedded DLs, passports, credit cards, etc. Especially since a Mylar lined shirt sleeve would be so hot in the summer. :D

Last month I posted this link:

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2006/02/06/afx2501763.html

It's about hidiously tiny RFID chips that can be added to paper or almost anything. If I had to be implanted with an RFID chip I'd probably want a card with 20,000 randomly programed RFID chips in it to carry in my wallet -- and then just slip it into a Mylar sleeve when I wanted to allow someone to read the one in my body...

There's probably some reason why that wouldn't work. Oh well.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I can't believe any sane person would consent to this just for a silly job of all things. Ben Franklin said it best-Those who would give up a little liberty for temporary security will soon have neither. It's insidious the way government and corporations are gradually whittling away at our freedoms.

How long before governments require an implant like this under the guise of either security or streamlining the economy?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I can see RFID tags used in many different applications, but NOT something such as this.

On a chain (used as an access card/ID) ok, but certainly NOT imbedded in my person!!

Scary to even have them in a credit card, as one could be tracked wherever they were carrying their cards.

I'm not totally against the technology, but there absoulutely needs to be a system of checks & balances!

paulr

Flashaholic
This just sounds like invasiveness for its own sake. There are very cheap tyvek security bracelets that are easy to remove by cutting them with scissors but near-impossible to remove without cutting. So putting the RFID onto one of those bracelets would accomplish most of the goals of the implant, much less invasively. You'd put on the bracelet in front of a security guard when you sign in at the beginning of your work day, and cut it off in front of the guard at the end of the day. You'd wear it all day so you could use it as an access credential for unattended checkpoints. If you were logged as putting it on at checkin, but weren't still wearing it at checkout, that means you cut it off during the day, and the guard would launch appropriate audits or whatever.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yeah, RFID (like prox cards) are not fraud-proof. Like all such devices, they work better with a secret ( a PIN ) and best when a guard is watching.

Don't get me wrong, I like the basic concept. I'd love for my wife to get an RFID implant so I could finish automating the house. It would allow me to definitively determine which rooms are occupied and to turn lights, PC monitors, TVs, heat and other things on/off automatically.

Personally, I like the fingerprint reader coupled with a prox card and a pin where the lock is under live monitoring. the last place I worked at that used fingerprint scanners to access teh data room had the dataroom walls built of sheetrock. *LOL*

Daniel