Pelican Super SaberLite worth buying?

mc

Newly Enlightened
I receive no hits with the search feature, so I wonder if this is a real dog, or just a standard light.

The Surge is better I am sure. So I will order one, at least for myself..

I am looking for a general-purpose light, for the girls to go out and check on the horses, etc. They will for sure drop it sometimes.

Thanks,
MC

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
MC,

I've owned a couple of Sabrelites and I think I'd pass on one for the purposes you've mentioned.

It's bulletproof and will survive most anything. However, the beam is really, really narrow. It's a pencil with very little peripheral lighting. It will easily throw its beam several hundred feet but nothing on the side. Perhaps no more than 6-7' wide at 200'.

It is also a ***** to turn off and on. Twist the head and presto, it comes to life but because the o-ring is so large, it seems to grip the housing harder than necessary. On my first light I cracked the lens bezel trying to turn it on. I've used different lubes and even nothing at all but it is difficult to easily use. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

If you like Surge sized lights and you're interested in Pelican, you might want to give some consideration to the Stealthlite (non-rechargable). It still has a narrow beam if you need the distance but the thumb switch is easy to use. I've got one of these too but to be honest, I don't use it much only because my Tec 40, E2 and SL-20X put a more useful beam IMO.

StuU

Enlightened
I picked up a couple of these surplus for $2.00/each. I had to buy the xenon module but got them on closeout at Home Depot. The beam is a little impractical for most things. It's pencil bright but also throws a wide aura that lights up a big area. It's not too bad. The xenon modules are expensive.

I'm going to convert the second one to a 4 or 6 led job if I can figure out how to to build the led module. Anybody done this?

mc

Newly Enlightened
Jeff, thanks very much for the great feedback, and insights.

I was about to get at least a couple of these. I will find something else.

At least the 'Pelican Super SaberLite' is
now in the database.

Thanks again Jeff.

-Mark

Gandalf

Enlightened
I agree about the Super Saber Light havinga very tight beam, and the head is a bit stiff. I still use mine when it's handy; it's a very tough light.

I bought a Streamlight 3C, and it's a big improvement over the Super Saberlight.
It has a momentary tailcap switch which is very handy. The head is easier to turn. The beam is a nice spot, with a ring around it; not nearly as tight as the Saberlite. It lights up an area very well, and the center spot is good for a pretty good distance. It uses bipin lamps, which are much less expensive than the xenon and reflector modules used in the Saberlight. It has two rubber gripping areas that help a lot if the light gets wet. All in all, a vast improvement over the Super Saberlight; I like mine a lot. I ordered it from brightguy.com
cool.gif
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gandalf:
I bought a Streamlight 3C, and it's a big improvement over the Super Saberlight.
Gandalf,
I agree with everything you said about the Streamlight 3C, but you left out one of the best features: the great clip it comes with.
When you clip it to your front pocket, at least with jeans, you'ld think it was strapped to your leg. Doesn't swing at all when you walk. You almost forget it's there.
TX

waumpuscat

Newly Enlightened
I am glad that I read this post. I have a couple of Sabrelights, and like them very much, but Jeff definitely gave a good description of the beam. This is the type of information that I love about this forum. Thanks guys

Phil

mc

Newly Enlightened
Gandalf
and
TX,

The Streamlight 3C seems to have some very good features, including price, I was not aware of this model, thanks for the heads up.
Seems I need one of those.

Mark

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Shoptimax.com is currently closing out the Streamlight Pro Polymer 3C in black only for $17.47. They are also closing out the nice 4AA model for $15.47. At their home page, click on the link (at the top) for Specialty Shops. Then you will see a big link for the Clearance Shop. Once you are there, select Streamlight from the list of companies on the left of the screen.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of each before Christmas. Gave the 4AA as a Christmas present & kept the 3-C. Thought they were both great lights, & if I'm not mistaken, shipping was only $5.
TX