Fenix "Low" and "High"?

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Hi people, just want to clarify something about fenix lights. I just looked at the older posts that show that fenix has bith low and high settings. Is that the case for you? The fenix website does not show anything on it nor does quickbeam's website.

Is it a mod or something like that? :thinking:

:thanks:

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, it's a mod. The stock Fenix only has one level. The mod is pretty simple. You open up the tail and solder a resistor across the switch. You then use the tail as a combination clicky and twisty. With the tail loosened, there's no contact with the back end of the light, so the light is completely off. With the tail tightened but the switch turned off, current flows through the resistor and so the LED lights up, at a current limited by the resistor (low level). With the tail tightened and the switch turned on, the LED lights up fully.

I personally feel reservations towards this mod and so I've kept my L1p in stock form, but lots of other Fenix owners use the mod and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

alberto

Enlightened
I'm not a modder but made this simple mod with a 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistor and it works great. I think it adds much to the already great utility of this light.

Delvance

Enlightened
If you're not comfortable about soldering on the resistor, you can get away without having to do it. Just cut the resistor to length, flatten the ends of the resistor wire, and insert them inside the switch's tabs that connect to the pcb. That way you can return your light to stock within minutes if you decide you don't like it. I'm using a 2.2ohm resistor myself and it's great, i bought it to replace my X1 so i wanted the low to throw exactly like the X1. 2.2 ohms does exacty that.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MillerMods (Fenix) L1P that punches 500mA to the LED. Yes, it is very bright but it also has the 5 ohm switch mod (two 10 ohms in parallel) On high, it is twice as bright and low is about a third of the brightness of a stock L1P. Gotta love it! Has the punch of a BB500 R2H on high and a bright enough low to walk around. All that and "free photons" from a single AA NiMH battery. :thumbsup: