Help deciding on surefire

brianvmsu

Newly Enlightened
ok well now i have been reading the posts here for like a week straight with every waking free moment to help decide what edc to buy. I was originally going to go with a nuwai big q3 but after reading a few posts it sounds like they are not as durable as i need, so my attention turned to SF for their durability. I really want to go with somthing 2 stage and LED. i can't decide between the L1 or an e1/2l with a new tailcap...

any comments on a confused buyer
Thanks
Brian

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 on low is less than 3 lumens...do you need that dim? Also, the beam is mostly throw, if you need spill its NOT a good choice.

I feels that the L2 is the more versatile light, around 10 lumens output on low for over 7 hours flat regulated, and 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of partial regulation on high--rated at 100 lumens, street results can vary.

Either will serve you well...what is your needs and specs?

brianvmsu

Newly Enlightened
my problem with the L2 was the horrible run time rating it got on high from FR-reviews. I need something to last longer than that. the 2 lights i have mentioned got at least 1:30 on high.

Flashlight Enthusiast
brianvmsu said:
my problem with the L2 was the horrible run time rating it got on high from FR-reviews. I need something to last longer than that. the 2 lights i have mentioned got at least 1:30 on high.

That is true...

You have to aks yourself if the low on the L1 is enough. Its plenty for getting around a dark house, but not much more than that my opinion says.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like 357 said, "what are you needs?" Are you really going to run on HIGH the flashlight for an hour and a half? Or intermittently at minutes at a time? My SureFire L2 is plenty bright for my uses even for roughly 7~10 minutes. After its been "OFF" for a while, and then turning it back "ON," it's still plenty bright as in the first instance. I get the same results for a couple of intermittent uses, and after about a week, I do notice the "step-down" when on HIGH, but not that much. . .Still practical and useful with plenty of decent light. Of course you can always carry spares with you and change out frequently.

Enjoy!

brianvmsu

Newly Enlightened
first and main use: automechanics. i will need to run the sucker intermittantly on high for at least 1-1:30hrs a day. Other uses... around house, any/all outdoor activities (needs to go with me on my quad) around the house... i know the situations i sould have 2/3 flashlights but i would rather buy a GOOD utilitarian light that will last me for a long time..

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon that runs on high (Plenty Bright!) for roughly 4 hours with a very good throw, and decent side spill. It does cost a whole lot less than SureFire's inexpensive SF.G2. The other SureFire I'm thinking of may be the SF.U2 if it's SureFire that you want to stick with. . .

carrot

Flashaholic
In seperate tests run by JasonC8301, he found that Quickbeam's(Flashlightreviews.com) test was somehow faulty, probably due to lower heat tolerances of the Amondotech Titanium batteries QB used in his test. Don't get me wrong, QB is one of the most respected reviewers out there, with true professionalism in his tests, but most people will agree that there is something fishy with the runtime results on Flashlightreviews.com. Most people experience 30-40 minutes of runtime on high, which should be plenty. I also asked Jason to test whether it would be able to go on high mode (what I dub 'turbo') on partially depleted batteries, and in fact, it was able to sustain high for plenty of time. Most people who own an L2 (I don't) will tell you they use it mostly on low, with high mode when they need an extra kick -- saying the L2 is basically a medium-output light (15 lumens is plenty for most purposes) with a turbo feature. Check out this thread from awhile back for more detail: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/104513

In short, I wouldn't rule out the L2.

And please tell us if there are specific things you are looking to use the light for... that way we don't give you recommendations that don't make sense for you.

IonFire

Enlightened
Of ocurse i am going to say your original choice wasn't bad.

Atleast the EL series can use Li-Ions, can save you alot if you plan on using that light alot.

Yes, i have one of each, love em, but as said, thier throws lights,not floods, which again works for me.

Also, take a look through your local Snap-On truck for thier Sintered-Resin 2XAA 1Watt light, nearly indestructible, last for ever on a set of batts.This with a streamlight stylus for finding anti-freeze leaks is a god-send.
Mine is a favorite at work, only thing that has shown me on it is the rubber trim on outside came off after repeated varsol exposure, rest of light still perfect.

Hope you find the right Electron>Photon converter for your needs.

IF

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some L2 runtime tests

Something to take into consideration is that the L2 was designed to be run on 'low'/normal mode with occasional high/turbo mode.

If you use the light often, I suggest a rechargable. I will be using my SF U2 with a LG Chem 18650 Li-Ion cell.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is the L4 with an aftermarket resistor switch that dims the light to a lower level. Never tried one, but heard they work well. This would get you the typical 65 minutes of regulation (around 60 lumens) on high, and also have a low mode option.

People here have links to the aftermarket seller of the switch.

TacStar

Newly Enlightened
For working on vehicles, the 15 lumen setting of either a L1 or L2 would be ideal. You don't want too bright of a beam, it would just cause excessive glare.

For your other intended uses, a brighter beam would be good, so the L2 with the low/15 lumen, high/100 lumen settings would be better than the L1.

I agree with 357 that the less than 1 lumen low setting on the L1 is only good in an almost totally dark enviornment, so you would probably not find much use for it.

If the cost is no problem ($280), the U2 would be your best choice, as it is adjustable in 6 output levels from 2 to 80 lumens. We own 2 of them, and they are my favorite light so far.

The E1L at 25 lumens or the E2L at 30 lumens would be excellent choices also. You would not have the dual level function, but the output on them is perfect for any utility and general use function. Also they are fairly innexpensive at about $100 (E1L) and $130 (E2L).

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
Ive had em all. I've sold em/traded em all. I'll tell you the best setup ever was an L4 with rechargable pilas and if you want a 2 stage aftermarket tailcap. There is no better light imo than an L4.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Brian, I urge you to take a real hard look at the Surefire E2L (an E2 with a KL1 LED head). Betcha it'll do nearly everything you want it do do... very well.

It's a tough, extremely versatile little light with good (flat) regulation and 2 1/2 hour runtime. Very good Throw for outside tasks (focused beam for competing with ambient light, etc.). You can also readily use it for inside Flood tasks via the old "ceilng bounce" method... or by adding an inexpensive beam-shaper. It's small size means you'll be taking/carrying it with you when the bigger SF L2 would likely be left behind.

Later, you can always turn it into an E2e incan, or even an L4 LED, simply by purchasing optional heads.

Use the Search option to find the many threads discussing it.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The past few posts have brought up an idea.

E1L + L4 + 3-6X Protected RCR123's + charger + 2 stage tailcap + beamshaper = pretty darn good set-up with interchangable lights.

I really like the 2-stage tailcap with E1 body and KL4 head running on a rechargable cell, and the long runtime of the KL1 head with two-stage tailcap on 2 X CR123 body with 2 X Li-Ions.

Jason