7 watt LEDs

TacStar

Newly Enlightened
I have heard some rumors that there are seven watt LED lights on the market.

Has anyone seen any of these?

If so, what kind of output do they have?

Also are any made by reputable, high-quality manufacturers?

Skyclad01

Enlightened
TacStar said:
I have heard some rumors that there are seven watt LED lights on the market.

Has anyone seen any of these?

If so, what kind of output do they have?

Also are any made by reputable, high-quality manufacturers?

To somewhat answer all that;

I have one of them on its way to me, so I will be having persoan experience with it by the end of this week when it arrives. But from what I have read...

They are Lumiled clones but the 5 watts is still unverified. So far it seems like they are very heavily overdriven 3 watt LED's.

The output is supposedly very good. So far I have read they out perform any 2 CR123 cell lights. They have very good throw with good side spill.

Some say (on the body itself) that it is USA made, but that hasnt been official yet (to my knowledge) szwholesale sells them, and they seem to carry the better of the bunch, and axshop will have them from time to time. But again, from what I have read, the ones from axshop seem to have a slightly different tint that what szwholesale has (szwholesale has the whiter tints)

But all this you can find out for yourself from other posts about them on this site. Just to a search using "Golston" as your search word. Or im sure other owners will reply here with thier personal experiences with this light.

mdocod

Flashaholic
as far as I know- the only reason they are calling them "7W" is because they consume 7W total in the proccess of reducing the voltage to the LED and driving the LED... They use a resistor that consumes about ~3 of those watts, and then the other ~4W overdrives a luxeon III clone to a near dangerous level.... perhaps I am thinking of the wrong LED flashlight though...

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
Personally i held the Golston in my hands before, quite a thrower for something so small but from my understanding, there is no protective circuit within and it tends to overdrive the batteries. It also heats up very quickly and as a result may spoil the flashlight sooner than you may expect, :sssh:

regards,

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search for Golston and there is lots of discussion/dissection of this light. Dae, one of our advertisers (SZ Wholsale &retail) has these in two flavors. The "cooler" shape model fits the rechargeable 3 volt (not the normal 3.6 volt) batteries better than the original does. I measured 1.2 amps going thru the battery (primary or rechargeable). That would be a nominal 4.2 watts at the led and 7.2 at the battery (3.6*1.2 and 6*1.2). They are quite the throwers.