49 LEDs, 3AAs, short body, at Dae's

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Finally, a short-bodied 3AA--much more sensible than a 3xAAA.

And just $13.

At this price, I doubt its LEDs are 23,000+ mcd. Retrofit, anyone?

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I was looking at those too . They look like the quality is signaficantly better than the 52 led Ebay lights I have (Go to AxShop and take a look at the picture of the tailcap. There's actually A S P R I N G in there and a strong looking one too! No flimsey strip of aluminum!
I think I have to have one..or maybe two...And that 7 watt light too that everyone's ranting and raving about.

tomL

Newly Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
I was looking at those too . They look like the quality is signaficantly better than the 52 led Ebay lights I have (Go to AxShop and take a look at the picture of the tailcap. There's actually A S P R I N G in there and a strong looking one too! No flimsey strip of aluminum!
I think I have to have one..or maybe two...And that 7 watt light too that everyone's ranting and raving about.

Great! Another one for me to look into.

I have a Golston 7W that I bought from AxShop. WOW! Very impressive in both workmanship and output.

But don't fool yourself, of the 7 watts, the Luxeon (maybe???) only sees half. About a quarter of this power heats an external resistor, and another quarter heats the batteries (internal resistance).

-TomL

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:

And just $13.

There's a bunch of ebay lights that use 6 AAA's (two 3 AAA carriers). I've got a 52 led and a 46 led. That probably would get better battery life than 3 AA's but the quality of the lights could definitely be better (aluminum strips instead of springs in the tailcap , the head screws off without any effort at all. The work very well so far though.)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
How do we know that we'd receive the unit in the photo when there's a disclaimer on the page that states "Products may have several different packaging designs?"

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
How do we know that we'd receive the unit in the photo when there's a disclaimer on the page that states "Products may have several different packaging designs?"

They're probably just talking about the little box (or whatever) it comes in.
I couldn't find that on either shop but I did find this in AxShop's site
"To help us preventing credit card fraud, we only ship to confirmed PayPal address, no exception" So I guess I won't be ordering from them after all... (Every time I try to confirm my address I get an error message).
Why do they bury this in their site? This should be in big red letters on the entry page! I would have been more than a little annoyed if I had placed an order and then they refused to sell it to me (And I though Ebay was a an irritatingly draconian place to shop)

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
There's a bunch of ebay lights that use 6 AAA's (two 3 AAA carriers). I've got a 52 led and a 46 led. That probably would get better battery life than 3 AA's

actually, 3AAs has more watt hours than 6AAAs...

for example... say you were to use NIMHs... the highest AAAs i've seen are 1000mah, the highest AAs i've seen are 2600mah.... the AAAsx6 would have about 6.6Whrs, the AAsx3 would have about 8.5Whrs

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Paul,

Did you get one of these? If it can be modded with a single emitter and a McR-45 reflector it could be a hell of a compact thrower for cheap! I'm formally submitting a name for it: T-49 (T for Turbo)

Bernie

SuperNinja

Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
"To help us preventing credit card fraud, we only ship to confirmed PayPal address, no exception" So I guess I won't be ordering from them after all... (Every time I try to confirm my address I get an error message).
I don't think that is a requirement anymore.
They are now accepting payments directly through credit cards. But they haven't updated their policy page to reflect the change yet though.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I was misreading something in my PayPal account anyway. My address is confirmed I just haven't added a bank account. I just ordered 2 of the 49 led lights and now I'm just waiting for them to ship. I almost get the impression that they import the stuff as you order.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
Paul,
Did you get one of these? If it can be modded with a single emitter and a McR-45 reflector it could be a hell of a compact thrower for cheap! I'm formally submitting a name for it: T-49 (T for Turbo) Bernie
No, I won't be ordering one. I'm a confirmed Hotwire and don't buy LED lights anymore; I just like to see what's out there.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:

And just $13.

But see the warning I posted elsewhere, as below ......

Similar, probably exactly same torch available elsewhere on ebay.

Quite sturdy, similar output to 1watt true luxeon, 3watt Chinese luxeon.

2.75 hours useful runtime 49 leds, 7 hours 12 leds.

One thing to be aware of though, very tight fit of 3AA battery carrier, it stripped some of my nimh battery plastic casings, on some makes of nimh, the internal screw thread is the culprit.

Leading to possible shorting internally.

If the carrier is a squeeze fitting, don't force it, it is stripping your batteries.

It also makes getting the carrier out very difficult.

No problems with ordinary AA batteries.

In the UK, OK nimh batteries are Kodak, Uniross and Sony.

I found Soshine nimh (Emil) stripping.

Others too.

(Yes I have quite a selection of nimh AA's)

Excellent torch in other respects.

Flat end cap, stands up with lanyard removed.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
I almost get the impression that they import the stuff as you order.
I saw a post somewhere that said the same thing.

They said the stuff gets shipped from China to WA, and then from WA to you.

Some of the better selling stuff they might stock up on in WA though.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperNinja said:
I saw a post somewhere that said the same thing.

They said the stuff gets shipped from China to WA, and then from WA to you.

Some of the better selling stuff they might stock up on in WA though.

Mine came direct from Dae to UK, 7 days, as usual ..excellent supplier

SuperNinja

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
Mine came direct from Dae to UK, 7 days, as usual ..excellent supplier
Oops.
Disregard EVERYTHING I said. I thought you were talking about AXShop. :ohgeez:

Also, I keep forgetting not everyone here is in the US.

What I was talking about would most likely apply only to the people in the US.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I've tried most of the lights out there, (stock and custom), and I'm always fascinated with these multiple 5mm LED lights. I've sampled several and most are junk but a couple have turned out to be quite impressive and are some of my favorite flood lights of all the lights I have. This one looks pretty decent.

abvidledUK,
Have you tried yours with primary lithium AA cells?