Help buying Costco 2AA Luxeon.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those haven't been in Costco stores for well over a year now.
I'm not sure if the combo package sold under the Smith & Wesson branding on the Costco.com site are the same lights with the addition of a headlamp.

And just to share my experience with those lights, I had to buy 4 packages of them to get two decent lights (returned the rest as 3 packages.)

TinderBox (UK) said:
anyone in the US fancy picking me up a packet of Costco 2AA Luxeon.

as in this review, if their still avaliable.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm

and posting them to the UK for me.

you have to have an paypal account so that i can pay you for the lights and the shipping.

THANKS.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
They tend to pop up on places like eBay and from other sources where some people may be trying to capitalize on their purchases so it might still be possible to get one, though you'll probably pay a price for it that is a bit more than it originally sold for.

TinderBox (UK) said:
thanks for the reply.

they looked very good for the price in the review.

regards.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'v bought three of them from members here over time. Other than beam characteristics, I love all of them. I'd like to warn you though, runtime isn't the same as Doug's review. I only get between 82-85 minutes runtime to 50% brightness with New Rayovac Maximum Plus alkaline cells.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, those are long gone from Costco stores to my knowledge, I picked up a package of those over a year ago and with heavy stainless hose clamps attached one to each end of my MTB handlebars, with a streamlight 3AA 1w luxeon on a clamp I made in the center, the triplet make a respectable set of lights for commuting.

It's a mixed bag, on one hand the output is good, not great, from rechargeable batteries. Conversely they aren't much to write home about quality wise, at least holding them in your hand- though my pair worked fine and have had no problems. Tail cap is molded plastic and head is stamped steel. Only the body is aluminum, and thicker than necessary.

Worth the purchase price and not much more, so don't feel as if you missed out on a bargain...... I'm actually going to purchase 3 of 3w or 5w nuwai's off ebay soon to take their place, you can never have enough light on the roads and I find purpose built bike lights overpriced,as well as their 2pc construction annoying as hell. I'd love an HID but the price and reliability issues I can't excuse. I don't mind fabricating clamps. I would LOVE a USE exposure race light (3x3w luxeon) but the price is just stupid.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had six of them at different times... My biggest complaint is all the stars were pretty crappy bins. I modded two with RW0Hs for a while (though I later used them in another project once I got a third one) and they aren't bad with good stars and they are VERY easy to swap out.

You can also get an IMS27mm reflector in there if you play with them a little bit. I think I sanded down the back to focus properly then the front so I could seal up the head. I greatly prefer the light with the reflector to the stock optic.

I have no complaints about the general quality of the lights... All mine worked fine and nothing ever broke or malfunctioned. I guess my biggest complaint would be they are quite a bit bulkier than they need to be. And kinda heavy. Thos qualities are OK for an at home light, but other than testing them for brightness and throw, I've definately never carried them on my person as a 2 cell CR123 will tend to be smaller, brighter, lighter weight and often have longer runtime.

I don't have a light meter so for runtimes, I must rely on my eyes but I think I get closer to 2 hours than 5 hours to about the 50% point.

drizzle

Enlightened
I have four that I bought a long time ago. I generally agree with the comments above. They were pretty cool at the time just because of the price but they are pretty heavy and bulky. Great for around the house lights and for keeping in the glove box. Very good for medium-near range use. Not so good for EDC.

Even so, I still grab one to put in my coat pocket when I'm going to be out at night. All that will change in a few days when I get my Fenix L1P. :)