Lexus redesigns ES, LS

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I see Lexus has gone one-up on Mercedes with the 8 speed transmission. That engine must really be loafing at 60 mph. I guess there's too much power for a continuously variable tranny.

Geoff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the ES and LS increase in power. I like the looks of both models, a little more sculpting without losing the class look.

Rumors I hear have Lexus REALLY increasing power down the road (V10 optional engine coming up in a future redesign of the SC class). Only time will tell if this happens...

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Those look really nice. Wish I could afford one! The older style was/is just to staid for my liking. Actually we went to the auto show a few weeks back and my wife fell in love with the IS 250. She needs a new car and it is more money than we wanted to spend, but we are seriuosly contemplating it. In the past we have always bought slightly used cars. The depreciation the first year is just so killer. I have had a new car only once in my life, and for myself I probley won't ever buy new again. However she works very hard for her money and doesn't blow it the way some people do and deserves to have at least one brand new car in her life. So I think we may go for it.

I hate the car buying "experience" and thinking about trying the broker at her credit union to buy the car. Have you ever used a broker?

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
It doesn't matter what they say or do.... Lexus are still too expensive toyotas...

The same argument can be made about any American or Japanese make. Cadilacs are expensive (and unreliable ) GMs for example... (based on my experience as an ex-caddy owner)

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the new look............ have a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS, company car..................my last two were Cadillac SLS and I have driven American (mostly GM) for nearly 30 years.

The Avalon is much quieter, has more room, has as much power, is at least as comfortable and has all the amenities. (for $20K less), as the last 2 Cadillacs. (driven for 5K miles with no defects from factory and no problems of any sort).

The last Cadillac WAS unreliable and then blew Head Gasket at 80K miles.

Japan is producing, less expensive, much better built cars. Not only do I see and believe it, sales figures do bear this out.

Truly, I would never have believed that I would own, let alone really, really like a Toyota. (I also like my wife's Acura!)

I am often in Automotive plants, due to my business and have great concerns for American automakers.........
proves that things change.

jeffb

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not in the market for either one, but I'll have to wait until I see them in person... I remember the new Audi A8 left me unimpressed in pics... until I saw a dark metallic gray one with tasteful aftermarket wheels. VERY sharp.

It's just kind of odd how some makers are going towards more agressive designs (such as the Mazda 3 and 5, Cadillac CTS) while others are becoming more bland under the guise of 'corporate identity' (MB C Class). I mean, it's almost impossible to tell the MB cars apart these days with a couple of exceptions.

I haven't even sat in the newer Lexus IS but I think the previous generation was more attractive, if a bit more infantile. I just think it takes me a while to accept some newer designs. My favorite designs are still the E28 and E34 BMW 5 Series (about 1982 - 1994) and the late 70s to early 80s Porsche 911s.

I mean, how can you help but love cars like these:

aDCP_2645.jpg

1978%20Porsche%20930%20Turbo%204.jpg

Latest posts