The Shield

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of this show, and have the DVDs far S1-S3. I've seen all the episodes through last weeks. This is apparently the final season, and it will be a long one (21 episodes). Anyone else like this show? How do you think it will end?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching The Shield to me is kind of like picking a scab.... Kind of disgusting, not very healthy, but you just can't help yourself.

Some darn good actors in there (a few hacks). I just wish Vic and the rest of the team were honest cops. ...

Last weeks episode was one of the best IMHO, although I've only seen about 1/2 of the ones that they have aired.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
Watching The Shield to me is kind of like picking a scab.... Kind of disgusting, not very healthy, but you just can't help yourself.

Some darn good actors in there (a few hacks). I just wish Vic and the rest of the team were honest cops. ...

Last weeks episode was one of the best IMHO, although I've only seen about 1/2 of the ones that they have aired.

Most of the major characters are various shades of grey, rather than the typical pure good vs pure evil of most shows. I find the exploration of peoples flaws to be refreshing.

Its also a very realistic feeling show, as it feels like your riding along with the police as events unfold...

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
I love The Shield. I didn't know this was its last season though. Bummer! I wonder if Vic and crew are going down since this is the last season or if they will retire on the money train score. Other fav's are 24 and Rescue Me. The promo's for FX's new series "Thief" looks like it could be good also. At least I'm hoping it is.

colubrid

Enlightened
My favorite thing is the FREE LIVE UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) that they recently started broadcasting on Spike TV. It wasn't to long ago that most of these types of fights were banned by politicians and only a few states allowed their venue. Now the sport is evolving very quickly . It just a matter of time that audiences become educated in mixed martial arts (MMA) and will be better to undertsand how technical these fights are.

Also the fighters are a lot safer than in boxing where a guy gets hit 1000 times in the head with a gloved hand diguising any real damage which is to the brain. In a MMA the fight is over without any lasting damage to the fighter. Most of the fights are won by tap out (submission).

Spike TV started broadcasting all the old fights from pay per view events as well. This happens 2-3x per week and its great to watch and learn about this sport. But its the live broadcasts that make for the edge-of-your-seat, nail biting exciting TV veiwing. There is also a reality series that is on its third season were fights live in a house together and are eliminated in a MMA bout at the end of each show.

The Sheild is a good show but not one that I look forward to and NOT one make sure I watch.

Part of the reason they don't draw a larger audience is the R-rated content that requires that time slot. Which makes no sense to me when you got all these ***** shows that my 13 year old can watch at 7pm. Our morals as a nation are out the door IMO.

end of my .02 rant

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
Love "The Shield", have seen all the episodes. I also recommend "The Wire"
Used to be an avid follower of "Sopranos", but I think the quality did fall a bit in the later seasons.

Favourite funny series is the one in my sigline...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tooner said:
I love The Shield. I didn't know this was its last season though. Bummer! I wonder if Vic and crew are going down since this is the last season or if they will retire on the money train score. Other fav's are 24 and Rescue Me. The promo's for FX's new series "Thief" looks like it could be good also. At least I'm hoping it is.

My guess is that Vic and Shane go down (either dead or most likely prison). They seem to be the worse of the four (in terms of what they are willing to do to get the job done). Shane actually seems worse than Vic in many ways, even though Vic's main crime is more atrocious.

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid said:
My favorite thing is the FREE LIVE

Part of the reason they don't draw a larger audience is the R-rated content that requires that time slot. Which makes no sense to me when you got all these ***** shows that my 13 year old can watch at 7pm. Our morals as a nation are out the door IMO.

end of my .02 rant

That is a great point about the time slot.

I'd consider the content borderline PG-13 to R, depending on the episode. Some episodes definitely cross the line into R, but not all of them my opinion says.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Shield is my favorite show. I didn't get into it till partway through season 2, so I haven't seen the early episodes. I didn't realize this was the last season. I think it just keeps getting better and better. I always referred to The Shield as "NYPD Blue on steroids" when describing the show to people who haven't seen it. I'll eventually get each season on DVD.

I bet somehow Vic will stay out of jail, as will the rest of the strike team, even if they do so in a suspicious manner

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
The Shield is one of my favourite shows. I'm based in UK, we've aired seasons 1-4 over here (we're usually about 6 months behind the States....). Is season 5 currently airing in the US?

It would be a shame if this is the last season.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave Huck said:
The Shield is one of my favourite shows. I'm based in UK, we've aired seasons 1-4 over here (we're usually about 6 months behind the States....). Is season 5 currently airing in the US?

It would be a shame if this is the last season.

Indeed, season five airs in the US.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Shield (spoilers)

In season three, was anyone disapointed to see Tavon written off the strike team?

I really liked that character...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geeze I can't believe that Claudette is dead????

Or possibly anyway. Apparently

She is the about the best cop on the show. (in terms of being a good cop AND honest and not a weasel).

Well, at least she went out on a high point of getting a multiple, habitual murderer.

I wonder if Forrest Whittaker is making a mistake with this role. Great actor, but I'm starting to not like him because of his tactics in this role... Before, even when he played a bad guy (like Panic Room) he was likable.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Season 5 might be split up 10 episodes this year, and 11 episodes next year.

The plan was for 21 episodes in Season 5, but talk over at FX indicates they want to split the season up and have a long break before the end. :(

Last edited:

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
Tavon always struck me as a device to create danger for the team, that he might learn about the money train, push the racist button in Shane, and put Shane and Mara at risk, almost all of which he did.

I also like the fact that the characters are not one-dimensional. If Vic and the team were honest, they wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

There's no way the team was going to retire on $65K each after Lem burned the rest, though. Hell, Vic's share is nearly gone, and supposedly less than a year took place between seasons 4 and 5.

I'm just glad that the series rebounded from season 3, when there was too much adversity heaped on too many characters--that has been the worst season so far.

Re the spoilers--there's no telling that Claudette has died--at least not yet.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Tavon and who he was.

I kind of liked the character too, but didn't really expect him to last long.

Anybody else totally detest Aceveda? IMHO he has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
I keep waiting for Vic to get a hold of the photo(s) that the gang banger took of Acevada while Acevada was uh... giving him a ...uh, oh well I can't think of a way to describe here, (but you fans know) and using it to black mail Acevada. Or did he get them and just give them back to Acevada already? Hard to remember, alot goes on in that show.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tooner said:
I keep waiting for Vic to get a hold of the photo(s) that the gang banger took of Acevada while Acevada was uh... giving him a ...uh, oh well I can't think of a way to describe here, (but you fans know) and using it to black mail Acevada. Or did he get them and just give them back to Acevada already? Hard to remember, alot goes on in that show.

I have the episodes on DVD. From what I remember, Aceveda DELETED the file on the camera cell phone. And "gap tooth" (the nasty thug) looked too stupid to actually plug the camera to the computer and download the images...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Tavon and who he was.

I kind of liked the character too, but didn't really expect him to last long.

Anybody else totally detest Aceveda? IMHO he has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

I HATE Aceveda. A total slimeball weasel.

Him and Shane have no redeeming qualities IMO, and I hope they share a prison cell together... :D

Somehow, I think it will be a combination of Mara and Tavon that will bring the strike team down. The lies are going to catch up with them eventually, and Mara will fold under pressure to try to save Shane IMO.

Last edited: