What do Shims do?

iamerror

Enlightened
I am in the process of making my first modified Maglite (a Mag85). I recently bought a Heavy Stipple Reflector from light-edge.com and it looks just great. It came with some small metal rings too however; apparently these are called shims? Do these have to be installed, if so, how many are installed and where do I put them? The reflector, bulb, and lens seem to fit in place without them, although I have not turned it on because I do not have batteries yet... thanks for the help.

blackbag223

Newly Enlightened
you put them in front of the reflector to move the reflector to focus the light beam how you want it.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
By "in front", he means that you place the shim on the bulb holder/socket before installing the reflector. :)

First try the light with no shims. If the focus and/or beam pattern doesn't look right, install one shim and try again. Then try 2 shims. Play around as see what beam you like the best, and then leave it there.

best regards

litho123

Enlightened
The shims are not for the Kiu socket modded lights as the bulb is in a stationary postion and you just screw on the head until you have the focus you want.

The focus shims are for use with potted bulbs in the spring loaded pedestal.
To achieve focus...
Insert bulb, then add shim(s) over the top of bulb, then screw on the retain ring.

You can also mod the bulb pedestal as noted in this post...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1116635&postcount=83

Latest posts