Recomendations wanted 2AA Sandwich Help

Technician84

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I have been (for a long time) wanting a minimag that will put out 40 lumens focussed tight for at least 2 hours, or something close to that. I want it fully regulated, without any loss of output until moon mode/ shut off.

Only a minimag will do as it's size an shape are what I'm looking for. My UK4AA is ok but leaves much to be desired. Also I have read a lot of info on this forum about similar setups but nothing quite like I need.

I have been looking at a badboy 400 or 500 with NX05. But I am confused by the offerings and specs. I dont understand the 500ma output required to get the 40 lumen+ light output.

The current offering from luxeon's web site is a 1 watt white lxhl-mw1d rated 45 lumens at 350ma. If I could get a badboy sandwich prebuilt set for 350ma and put this led on it, woulden't I be on spec?

Someone please enlighten this beefhead. I will also check this thread later in the day so please feel free to leave your info. Thanks.:thinking:

Timson

Enlightened
This is what you want.

For tightest possible beam, squeeze in an IMS20 reflector.

The output spec'd on Lumileds spec sheet will be optimum light output under ideal heatsink conditions and measured directly at the emitter - rather than as output generated after losses.

Don't know what the formula is to calculate the actual torch output - Someone here will know.

These sandwich modules are expensive - but the output will be just what you're after and should easily meet your requirements....Use good NiMh cells.

Tim.

krautracer

Newly Enlightened
I have the Sandwich that Timson link to. And I use it as my EDC. Its a great light. I'm not sure how long the batteries last. I just use NIMH 2500 Energizers. I always carry an extra set of batteries with me though.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Don't know the specs (Lumen output) and all but here's what I have.

NexGen750 Lux.III TW0J
UCL
IMS20 (2B replaced with McR aluminum reflector) 20mm needs to have Mini Maglite head bored

One is a cut-down Mini Maglite (3[M]iniMag) driven by (1) LC14270 310mAh Li-Ion
This one is my EDC and is VERY BRIGHT for ~60 minutes or so.

The other is in stock Mini Maglite form driven by (2) Energizer Lithiums
This too is BRIGHT! Haven't done a runtime yet.

The other is driven by (1) SF123 Lithium
Also BRIGHT! Unknown runtime.

These rival my SureFire E2e with fresh SF123s installed and is much brighter still than the 2D and 3D Maglites in stock form.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I also have a NG500 in my minimag. I use rechargeables (2100mAH right now) for my short bike ride home, and have to re-charge them every 2-3 weeks. This sammie is a good compromise between runtime and brightness (ie. NG750 woulf be brighter, but not enought to offset the reduction in runtime).

I initially had an NX-o5 optic in there, then switched to an NX-01, and I'm using an IMS20 reflector right now. If you go wall hunting with your light, you probably would like the reflector. I see no significant differences in the beam while riding.