Klarus        

Thread: Masked Bandits prowling around

Crackup Masked Bandits prowling around

5:30 AM local time. I hear knocking and rummaging around my back door. By the door is my CT-Zero Rechargeable light (remember those?). Light on, door flies open and boy did I suprise two very roly-poly fat Raccoons. Must be two of the five that Mama left stuck up in a tree last spring for my enjoyment.

In typical Raccoon fashion they did not retreat but a step or two when confronted. They stared at me with that "whadda ya want" look and then finally sauntered away into the woods.

Now I must buy some black pepper to sprinkle around things to keep them away. That works better than any sprays I have tried and is less work than throwing sticks or firecrackers at them which they ignore.

Being in the woods and used to varmints coming around I knew that they were pests and not prowlers. I was able to spotlight two 4-point bucks last week with a Golston 7-Watter quite effectively.
    My doctor says I am a paranoid narcissist. I have the feeling I am plotting against myself.
    Rule #9: Always carry a knife. Rule #9a: Always carry a flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Masked Bandits prowling around

a friend of mine had a racoon as a pet when he was a kid.

my mom had a pet skunk.

all I have is a cat.

I was camping a few years ago with out a tent.(I just didn't want one) I woke up at 2 in the morning hearing something sniffing my head. I look up and there is a racoon staring at my face! I jumped up at chased it away. Needless to say, I slept in a tent the next night.

Flashaholic*

They are a neat animal, my aunt had one for a long time. But take care with them, coons can be viscious and have sharp teeth, not to mention they are notorious for carrying rabies. I had to kill one out in archery season one time because I made the mistake of sitting against its home tree. I was more than willing to get up and leave but every time I moved it came closer to me popping teeth and growling, until I had to shoot it while still sitting down or risk a bite which I was unwilling to do. A big coon will kill a dog easily if they are near water by getting on the dogs head and holding it under, saw this almost happen, well saw it happen but saved the dog.