Anyone else po'ed Mag didn't LED a Solitaire?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that would have been a strong market, especially since it was a format he legally jumped on with other manufactors.
Like I said in the other mag thread, even if it was a cruddy DD circuit with a resistor, and if it could be got for under 10$ would make good gift's and stow away light's for car/first aid kit's etc. VDG

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but you can't run a white LED in a solitare with just a resister. You need a boost circuit.

i guess that is one place where they found out it's not as easy as they thought. Guess they should have bought some of those little companies they sued out of existence :laughing:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aye, too right. I have modded a few soli's i use, running 3.7 li ion's so I totally forgot that a "real" AAA batt is 1.5. sorry about that! VDG

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they believe the average comsumer don't see key chain lights as serious ilummination tools, but more like "novelty items" or cute cheap gifts. Nor Mag wants to change their perception. They should check what Peak has been doing with little lights...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or it's a lower priority (and lower margin product) and they will release a LED Solitaire later...I suspect Mag isn't clueless, folks. They have a plan, and we are just seeing the beginning of this for Maglite.

Robban

Enlightened
Honestly I don't really care. Sure it's nice that they finally moved their a$$es and did something, but the saying "too little, too late" comes to mind. I was expecting atleast SOME innovation.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Robban said:
I was expecting atleast SOME innovation.
They're introducing LED's to the "masses", that's innovative - without having seen the actual guts of a MagLED it's hard to know if other features are new.

Have you tried stuffing a circuit inside a Soli? There's very little real estate to work with. AFAIK, pbarrete & LED_ASAP are the only ones who do this (chimo & 4sevens come to mind also). Not sure of the feasibility of doing this commercially...

InfidelCastro

Banned
Where did you hear this? I don't see anything on Maglite's website about their LED product line yet.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are several issues with the Solitaire. One is that they probably don't sell many compared to their other lights and revamping the line might not be worth it right now. Another is that making an LED focus properly (and Mag considers focusing to be the company's signature feature) in such a small form isn't easy. The AA MagLEDs, at least from looking at the patent, seem to have a very large mechanism. A third might be that there are several other makers of LED AAA keychain light right now, any one of which might have patents or trademarks on various features.

Who knows what we'll see in time. A company the size of Mag has to work in a different way compared to a small maker like Arc, etc. When they make a new product they can't make a handful and see how they sell in specialty stores and to CPF members. When Mag rolls out a new light, it basically has to be ready to be sold in every single flashlight-carrying store (everything from Wal-Mart to Ace Hardware to Walgreens to Ninja Dan's Tactical Warehouse & Motorcycle Store) in North America. Maybe they're not ready for that with the Solitaire. The new D-cell LED lights appear to mostly be like the incans. The AA models are where the R&D and new production expenses are going.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
Where did you hear this? I don't see anything on Maglite's website about their LED product line yet.

Check the SHOT Show reports sticky thread on the TradeShows and Get-togethers section.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Pocketlights have a blog on the shot show. The mags are on day 2.
http://www.pocketlights.com/blog/blog.html

it is not just the solitaireLED that is missing but the AAA minimagLEDs as well. A 3AAA minimag should be not much longer than the standard 2AA minimag but should be able to give 60 lumens for an hour. The 3AA is too long.

As for the lack of a SolitaireLED, I guess I can stay with my TM-310H a while longer. It is still fairly new. I only bought it on boxing day.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the AAA Mini-Mags might have the same problem. They don't get sold in nearly as high a volume, and there's less internal size. A lot of the stores with Mag displays around here don't even have themm. Plus you don't get as much pop out of a AAA cell as you do an AA.

C4LED

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I guess they believe the average comsumer don't see key chain lights as serious ilummination tools, but more like "novelty items" or cute cheap gifts. Nor Mag wants to change their perception. They should check what Peak has been doing with little lights...

If they came out with a decent Solitaire, and people saw how useful it could be, they might be less likely to buy the new MiniM@g-LEDS!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would have really liked to see an LED Solitaire. Especially if you could always mod them easily with the latest brightest LED's and if they came in different colors. White, red, green, ect. I think they would sell well.

I really love the AAA form factor for keychain lights, but my incandescant Solitaire is next to worthless.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kinda funny though... I finally built an LED Solitaire using a Nichia CS LED run direct on a LiON 10440 cell and it's currently my very favorite around the house light. There's so much wasted space in the tailcap (esp no spare bulb is needed) that a simple boost circuit should be able to fit in there.

In all honesty, the Solitaire is probably the form factor most people would actually use and want for personal use assuming the output was half way decent.

Unfortunately, the stock incandescent Solitaire has probably disappointed so many consumers, it would take a LOT of advertising and marketing to make buyers give it another chance. Everyone that's seen my CS Solitaire (and we're talking non-CPFers) that was impressed, has told me that they bought one and basically tossed it aside for being worthless.

CLHC

Flashaholic
No. . .

I saw a modded one that's sporting a Lux.III. I believe there's like one or two still available. . .Still have to get back with him though.

Enjoy!

hector

Newly Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
I think there are several issues with the Solitaire. One is that they probably don't sell many compared to their other lights and revamping the line might not be worth it right now. Another is that making an LED focus properly (and Mag considers focusing to be the company's signature feature) in such a small form isn't easy. The AA MagLEDs, at least from looking at the patent, seem to have a very large mechanism. A third might be that there are several other makers of LED AAA keychain light right now, any one of which might have patents or trademarks on various features.

Who knows what we'll see in time. A company the size of Mag has to work in a different way compared to a small maker like Arc, etc. When they make a new product they can't make a handful and see how they sell in specialty stores and to CPF members. When Mag rolls out a new light, it basically has to be ready to be sold in every single flashlight-carrying store (everything from Wal-Mart to Ace Hardware to Walgreens to Ninja Dan's Tactical Warehouse & Motorcycle Store) in North America. Maybe they're not ready for that with the Solitaire. The new D-cell LED lights appear to mostly be like the incans. The AA models are where the R&D and new production expenses are going.

Why can't they copy the little Dorcy, I mean they aren't afraid of lawsuits?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also surprised the solitaire didn't get an LED. But this way they are only dealing with lumileds for leds and I don't think they'd go to the trouble of designing a solitaire around a lux.

I bet the R&D people at mag are just happy they got to do something for a change.