Surefire M3 options and questions.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks. I'm new to CPF and would like to say THANKS to all the folks that
contribute and make it a great place to be.

I have two M3 lights and have a few questions regarding options and such.
Looking for more throw and longer run times.

(1) How is it that the M4 (with only one more cell than the M3) can offer a
full 40 minutes more run time advanage over the M3 with both at 225 lumens?

(2) What would adding the MC123 one cell extension do to my M3 output and
run time? Would I need to change bulbs or? What else do I need to know about
the MC123? Was unable to find info on the SF web site. Would this essentially
turn my M3 with a KT4 head into an M4 or?

(3) The price difference between the M3T and the M4 is minimal and the price
difference between buying just the KT4 head for the M3's I already own and a
whole new M3T is semi-minimal. So I need advice folks.

- Buy a Kt4 head?
- Buy a whole new M3T?
- Buy an M4?
- Add the MC123 and?
- Talk me into an M6?

Been searching the forums learning all I can but would really appreciate all
help on the above.

Thanks and Happy Lighting!

Last edited:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I recently bought an MC123 and am in the process of converting my M3T into an M4. As far as I know you do need the M4 bulb (high or low) since you are now operating at 12 volts instead of 9. According to UPS my bulbs should arrive today so I'll be able to tell you how it works out. I have to say that I like the looks of a converted M3T more than the stock M4. It places the Rogers/Surefire rubber grip a bit far forward, but at least you still have it which you don't with an M4. It also creates a more flexible light since it can always be converted back to an M3T or M3 if needed.

I bought an M6 last summer but recently sold it since I didn't like the way the batteries loaded and it felt awkward to hold (very cool light though and it was a tough decision!). I had a very good experience with my old 500 lumen 12Z (same general form factor as M4), hence my decision to upgrade my M3T.

cfb

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello and Welcome to CPF!

I have no regrets whatsoever regarding my SureFire M3. Skipped the SF.M4 and got the SureFire M6. The latter is something to behold indeed!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

George1

Newly Enlightened
I recently got an A19 adapter and a MN61 HOLA for my M3T. I was trying to locate a HA extender and the MC123 HA was not available yet. The HA finish looks better on the M3T although some people here say that the black A19 reminds you to make sure you have the correct LA. I have not used the 4 cell setup enough to comment yet. I like the fact that I have the option of 3 or 4 cells.

If you already have two M3 lights, an option for you would be to sell one of the M3 bezels and purchase a KT4 conversion head along with a MC123, MN60, and/or MN61 LA. That way you would have one M3 for EDC (fits in pockets easier than the turbohead) and one with a dedicated turbohead in either 3 or 4 cells.

Or perhaps just go for a M6..........

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell one of you M3's, get an M6, plus an A19 and M3T and M4 lamps. You'll have a ton of options that way. :)

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Just got my MN61 lamp assemblies. This M3T/M4 hybrid really rocks now! I can definitely recommend this option.

cfb

Luxman

Enlightened
Another vote for the SRTH.
My D3/N2/SRTH 105 lu spot is so well defined and bright that I can see it within my M3/MN11 225 lu lamp spot.
And I get the 1 hr run time with the N2 vs only 20 min with the MN11.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I like the SRTH, but it doesn't fit the M3.

I recommend a KT4-HA TurboHead for your M3. I really like the N2 lamp because it has a nice round beam. The MN15 & MN16 have oval hotspots. When I want more light than the M3 with the N2 lamp assembly I usually use the M6. You can use two Pila batteries with the N2/MN15/MN16 if you want to use rechargeable batteries.

The M3T is a very user friendly light.

I recommend that you get a TurboHead and what ever lamps you want to try just to see what you like.

I prefer the M3T and the M6 to the M4. The M3T fits in my back pocket, but the M4 is to long for pocket carry. I prefer the LOLA for the M6.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks for all the help. Will take me a little time to digest all of this,
and then to make a decision.

CPS is a great place to be a part of :)

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've had an A-19, a KT-2 and a MN60 on order for two months now, no-one has the N2.

I plan on using the N2 with my 9P, and adding the A19 and MN60 to make a poor mans M4.

Also I can use the N2 with the A19 and 2x17670s for longer run time.

Hopefully N2s become available again soon so my order can be shipped and I can start playing.