Easy mini mag tle5 led beam improvment

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I upgraded MM with a tle5 led,I was not to happy with the beam,using the reflector with it ,the beam has some annoying artifact,so I took a vinyl powder free exam gloveand cut a small piece to cover the lens.It really smooths out the beam and gives a great even flood with very little loss of output.Now when I turn it on the beam is great!:rock: It really makes the minimag even more useful.
Hope this helps someone else.I ended up putting it on the outside of the lens,it was easier to stretch out and get smooth.Looks really cool to! Any other mods to make the beam smoother(no artifact)? I thought of sanding the plastic lens,but didnt have a spare in case it ruined it.

quarkstar

Newly Enlightened
The "glovecov" sounds great... :thanks: will work with other lights too I bet.

The condom mod sounds :huh: ...err...interesting...I'd just make sure it wasn't a used condom :awman:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
On mine, I changed the lens with a B270-LDF from flashlightlens.com. The beam is beautiful but it doesn't have much throw. A nice light for close tasks.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I checked out the websites and Im gonna stop on the way home and look for the con-tact shelf paper at walmart,seems like a good and cheap solution.I might even try it on the river rock 2c to creat some spill light.

pizzaman

Enlightened
I have used the clear contact paper on numerous flashlights and find it to be an effective and frugal solution.

I would have to give it higher marks than the review at flashlightreviews. If not for the contact paper I probably would have tossed out my maglights. I've always liked the look and construction, but the lousy beam was aggrivating.

I must add that I place a high priority on wide, even, flood beams when it comes to most of my flashlights. I find that combo to be far more useful as a work/utility light. The contact paper excells here. I've had good success using it on military angle head flashlights, and just recently smoothed out the beam of some Dorcy 2C 8LED lights (it had some really bizarre and annoying rings that framed the spill beam). It is primarily a flood solution, and a very good one. I use the contact paper on all my mini-mag/nite-ize conversions to remove the artifacts and give a nice smooth beam that is superb for reading maps or working up close.

I have had good success with it on 4 cell and above maglights too (the brightness helps "punch through" to retain some decent throw). But, if throw ia your primary concern, I can't see any of the solutions that diffuse the beam via the lens being ideal. On maglites where I want to keep the throw but smooth out the sorry beam, I have had good success with sputtering the reflector. I don't know how effective this would be with a high dome LED, but it would probably be my first attempt if I wanted to keep the throw characteristics of the mini-mag. If you goof it up you should be able to at least purchase a replacement reflector.

Good luck, TR

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
It did noting to help the river rock 2c. I think you will not be able to change this lights beam.Maybe some etchng?Has anyone trie that???That would be interesting.

I will probably try con tac on thr MM tonight.

Thanks for the tip

Paul