New laptop help

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Was wondering if someone could help me with this. I just got a new laptop and wireless network. The wireless network works fine other than when I start the laptop I get a message that says "a duplicate name exists on he network". I click OK then I won't see it again till I restart my laptop. What can be causing this and how do I fix it?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have at least one other computer on the wireless network and it and your lappy have the same computer name. When you install Windows, you are asked to name your computer for network purposes. If you named both "sbebenelli" for example when you did that, I would assume this problem would occur. Thats my guess though. Doesnt sound too serious. If that is the problem, you can rename your computer by right clicking My Computer, Properties, then theirs a tab called "Computer Name." The rest should be self explanatory,

-C

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine this would only effect file sharing, as Windows file sharing usually relies on computer names. The router only cares about MAC and IP addresses though, so you should be able to get on the internet just fine, even with the naming conflict.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
bobisculous said:
Sounds like you have at least one other computer on the wireless network and it and your lappy have the same computer name. When you install Windows, you are asked to name your computer for network purposes. If you named both "sbebenelli" for example when you did that, I would assume this problem would occur. Thats my guess though. Doesnt sound too serious. If that is the problem, you can rename your computer by right clicking My Computer, Properties, then theirs a tab called "Computer Name." The rest should be self explanatory,

-C

The names where the same so I change one and I don't get the message anymore. Thanks for the help.

db

Newly Enlightened
If you don't want to share your internet bandwidth with the neighbors, then you might want read up on enabling the security features.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
db said:
If you don't want to share your internet bandwidth with the neighbors, then you might want read up on enabling the security features.

I have the security features enabled. One of my neighbors doesn't though because I have full strength signal from someone. Maybe I should cancel my ISP because I don't need it. :devil:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ya might want to snag a program called "AirSnare" to watch & make sure no one's "war-driving" or tappin' in on your network as well. It's a free download.

Don't want to intrude on your thread, but anyone have any other favorite intrusion detection or home network management wares that they like?