Fenix L1P Lens moisture issues

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today, my Fenix L1P took a dive into a pool while on. Came back on still on with no issues at first. Then it acted up and stopped working. Dried the outside off, opened it up and the battery was damp. After a few minutes though, it turned back on and started working alright. Now I look at the glass lens and its all fogged over on the inside and again, it seems dim. This may be though cause the foggy film over the lens though. How can I removed that fog off the lens? Just let it air out, or would sticking it in the oven help at all :D ? Hopefully with any luck, the light is just dim appearing due to the fogged up lens and the its truly waterproof to some degree...

Thanks,
Cameron

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say put the head in the oven or toaster-oven set to the "keep warm" setting or around 150-180 degrees (use an oven thermometer to make sure the temp is accurate). Just leave it in there for an hour or two. I don't think this would hurt it at these temps- but don't take my word for it. These temps aren't much hotter than the interior of a car in the summer here where I live.

I wouldn't put the tailcap in unless you take it apart so you won't ruin the rubber switch seal and switch. Although at these temps, it may not be too hot for the tailcap either . Moisture may have gotten in the tailcap as well and if the entire inside of the light isn't thoroughly dried out, then the moistire may still migrate to the head and onto the back of the lens.

Last edited:

Babo

Newly Enlightened
The above post has the general concept correct; however,
you need to increase the toaster oven temp to around 325.

Place your light between two slices of bread; multigrain is best
because it tends to be drier. Toast the bread to medium. Your
light will be dried out. Your breakfast will be ready..
Add jam or honey.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Babo said:
The above post has the general concept correct; however,
you need to increase the toaster oven temp to around 325.

Place your light between two slices of bread; multigrain is best
because it tends to be drier. Toast the bread to medium. Your
light will be dried out. Your breakfast will be ready..
Add jam or honey.
:laughing: :crackup:

And yes, the moisture on your reflector will actually decrease the torch's output. In my experience, fog/moisture can decrease output by 50%. (This is with my ROP, after a minute or two on during night, it fogs up really badly and i lose ALOT of light).

Somy Nex

Enlightened
my solution isn't as good as the toast bit, but i've had luck getting moisture out of a 'weather proof' cellphone using a combination of hairdryer and vacuum cleaner. apply heat to one end, vacuum to other, and wait. then shut heat off and leave vacuum on until unit cools down, to suck out any further condensation =) now you're all set =)

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
The oven idea worked perfectly, but now I have the chlorine and other chemicals that were in the water, still all over the reflector as a film looking substance. I will have to crack this thing open somehow it appears. Please tell me their was no lock tite on the ring to the electronics. I thought I heard mention that 4sevens ordered these particularly without it...

-C

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones from 47s were no loctite on the head, the electronics LE has it on there. There is a thread on how to do it. I think you just screw it back and forth. You may have to heat it too.

Did the water come in through the tail cap then?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Why involve heat at all? Just leave the battery and tailcap off the light, sit it out overnight to dry out. Seems a lot less risky than the methods provided above.

savumaki

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
The ones from 47s were no loctite on the head, the electronics LE has it on there. There is a thread on how to do it. I think you just screw it back and forth. You may have to heat it too.

Did the water come in through the tail cap then?

I got two of the first ones-one was -one wasn't :huh2:

carrot

Flashaholic
I would try and irrigate the bezel with deionized water, let it soak overnight, and then let it drain out and toast it.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Carrot, where does one get distilled water? (aside from the distilling machine in the chem lab at my high school... :naughty:)

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
distilled water in gallon jugs can be had at many places (most grocery stores, walmart, sears essentials - aka the old Kmart stores etc)

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got ahold of 4sevens to ask about whether the electronic module was potted or not to perhaps do what you said with the water, but he is going to issue me a replacement.

Cheers to 4sevens! :clap:
Thanks!

-C

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks, somebody made reference above to a thread covering how to get the circuit out of the unpotted L1P's. Any chance someone could point me to that thread, perhaps provide a link?
:thinking: