Katokichi-Ichishiki B or MaxLite???

FlashaholicX

Newly Enlightened
Now that we have runtime graphs for the KI-B light and details are just starting to emerge for the long secret MaxLite, which one are you guys more excited about???

I personally would prefer the smaller size of the KI-B for EDC, but the new Maxlite brings with it higher efficiency and multiple brightness settings.

I also like the ability of the KI-B to use different batteries/chemistries (including AA alkalines, I might add).

My biggest questions right now are size differences between the KI-B with AA tube attached and the MaxLite and how much more efficient the MaxLite converter is.

FlashaholicX

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Buy both!!!" is the best phrase.

maxliteandkibprotos3gt.jpg

Here is a picture of both of the light together. One Maxlite AA prototype and one finished one with an Aleph 3 head sit side by side. The operational KI-B prototype with the body options and battery choice available is in the foreground.

The Maxlite AA lights have been delivered and they are in member's hands to play with.

The KI-B lights are weeks away from completion.

Both lights have different characteristics to them. They are similar that they both have ARC mania Lux I SuperSbin (SS) emitters in them and both use an AA battery as they come out of the box. From that point the lights differ in design.

Maxlite is an open ended light. Maxlite is primarily a study to make the brightest and longest lasting beam in a one AA light. To do that the light has refinement in the converter and the emitter choices. The oversize metal reflector helps concentrate the light. It succeeded better then we expected. And we learned a lot in making this light. The light happens to interchange with the large selection of Surefire E-series and Aleph parts. A rechargeable 14500 Li-Ion battery would have to be used for the Surefire/Aleph options.

The KI-B is a complete design. It has no other options. The KI-B has a unique buck/boost converter with a wide voltage range of 1.2 to 9 volts. The brightness is virtually the same. In this case there are many battery tubes with one dedicated head. Many battery choices are the specialty of the KI-B. The three barrels give numerous options from AA to 2xRCR123 batteries. And the KI-B converter regulation is simply amazing. To complete the kit a holster is included.

4ttm5cu.jpg

"The idle brain is the devil's playground." This is a project we are experimenting with. The 'ToTheMax' project is to see if we can get a good beam from a Surefire Turbo Head a Tower Module and a Lux I, and the SS emitter. You can see we designed a couple of one piece prototype Turbo Head to Maxlite adapters. And those adapters will work on the Surefire/Aleph bodies too.

You have choices…why not get both Maxlite and KI-B???!!!

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one? Both of cos. I m excited with ANY ARCmania / True blue / Katokichi projects.
I ve already own the maxlite and waiting for the TTM but I wouldnt mind getting on a KI-B is I ve got more funds.

Fringe

Enlightened
I LOVE MY MAXLIGHT! It has to be one of the most well designed useful lights I own. I cannot keep my hands off it.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
maxfenixlionheart8da.jpg

Maxlite AA with a SuperSbin emitter, Fenix and Lionheart beams compared in a ceiling shot. You can see which lights are the winner lights. Remember that the Maxlite is running the AA battery, in this case a 1.7 volt Lithium battery. The Fenix is also running a lithium battery. The LionHeart is running over twice the voltage and a lot more current.