yet another new emitter from Luxeon>

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
New LUXEON(R) Portable PWT1 Emitter Enables Market's Smallest Power LED Flashlights; Ultra-Small Power LED Delivers 26 Lumens at 350mA with 2,000-Hour Life
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 14, 2006--Lumileds Lighting today announced the release of the LUXEON(R) Portable PWT1, the market's smallest power LED designed for flashlights and other portable lighting applications. The new emitter generates 26 lumens at 350mA from a package size of only 2.0 x 1.6 x 0.7mm, providing market-leading light output for its size along with a 2,000-hour life and uniform white light produced by Lumileds' patented conformal coating process.

The LUXEON(R) Portable PWT1 is roughly 75% smaller than other LEDs with similar light output and delivers about 4.5 times the amount of light (lumens) per square millimeter. This enables manufacturers to build flashlights and other portable lighting products with smaller optics, smaller form factors and less weight than ever before.

LUXEON(R) Portable PWT1 offers the best moisture sensitivity rating--JEDEC level 1--allowing for unlimited factory floor life. This eliminates the need for dry storage or baking of the package after exposure to air. The surface-mount package simplifies manufacturing and the toughest electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection in the industry with an 8kV ESD protection chip.

Lumileds' exclusive die coating technology ensures uniform coloration in the beam pattern, eliminating commercially unacceptable color irregularities that occur with white LEDs from other vendors because of a lack of uniformity in phosphor coverage of the die. Lumileds utilizes special tools and procedures to distribute the phosphor at a regulated and consistent thickness over the entire LUXEON(R) chip.

The new emitter, which is lead-free and RoHS compliant, expands Lumileds' family of portable LED lighting solutions, which also includes the larger LUXEON(R) V Portable with a 500-hour life and a typical flux of 120 lumens at 700 mA.

LUXEON(R) Portable PWT1 joins the LUXEON(R) I, LUXEON(R) III, LUXEON(R) V and LUXEON(R) K2 products as the most widely used high-power LEDs for portable lighting applications. LUXEON(R) LEDs are selected for their ruggedness, longevity, quality of white light and efficacy in portable applications. The datasheet (DS51) and "Portable Lighting Designer's Guide are available now along with pricing and availability from Lumileds Future Electronics at www.lumiledsfuture.com or 1-888-LUXEON2.

About Philips Lumileds Lighting Company

Philips Lumileds Lighting Company is the world's only high-volume manufacturer of power LEDs and a pioneer in the use of solid-state lighting solutions for everyday purposes including automotive lighting, camera flash, LCD televisions, portable lighting and general lighting. The company's patented LUXEON(R) Power Light Sources are the first to combine the brightness of conventional lighting with the small footprint, long life and other advantages of LEDs. Lumileds also supplies core LED material and LED packaging, and manufactures billions of LEDs annually. The company is headquartered in San Jose, California, with operations in the Netherlands, Japan and Malaysia and sales offices throughout the world. For more information, contact Philips Lumileds Lighting Company at 408-435-6111 or visit www.philipslumileds.com.

billw

Enlightened
It looks an awful lot like the luxeon flash, spec'ed at a different operating
point (the flash is spec'ed for brief pulses at 1A, but if you look at it's
current vs brightness curve, the 350mA result is just about ... 26 lumens.)

That's not bad, of course. Maybe we'll see them show up at dealers in
quantities less than a full reel :)

BillW

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Due to the small package size you will get even MORE HEAT PROBLEMS...
:wtf:
Is this something that you want? The package size of a "normal" power LED is NOT the big issue... the issue is how to get rid of the heat problems so that you get a flack light degradation.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
26 lumens/ watt does mean a lot of heat from a little package. I played with a couple of these and I think you can do much better with current 3 and 5 mm LED's overdriving them with some consideration to heat sinking the cathode lead. With them you also have an integrated optic.

These LED's no doubt have their applications but I don't think they are cool for flashlights; too hot! :)

glire

Enlightened
Indeed. Thus only 2000 hours life.
I don't see any evident progress here, but a wider range of products for marketing purposes I assume.

Gryloc

Enlightened
So is this a 1W or 3W die (with phosphor coating) that is out of the emitter package? Can you power this up to 1000mA in very short periods just llike the Luxeon Flash? I wonder if they are listening to flashlight maker because this does seem rather impractical for flashlights (power flashlights, but not a keychain light). It is interesting though. Does anyone know how to solder it to a board? You need to epoxy the back while soldering it on either side for electrical connection, right? How would you protect this vaunerable light, with a plastic lens? Then it is nearly as bulky as the 1W emitter.

I saw the flash before, and I had mixed feelings. The only thing that I would like to try is a large cluster of these things together. Now wouldnt that be cool? I also thought that you can make a light bulb replacement with these.

Feel free to tell me what you think. Of course I am dreaming, but this idea is pretty realistic if you have the machinery to make it. Ok. Simply make a special hexagonal copper bar and make an array of the luxeon flash or die on it. This is so hard to explain. I made many drawings. Picture a hexagonal copper or aluminum bar, with a Luxeon Flash/Portable emitter on each facet. Each face of the bar would contain about 3 of these next to each other. So the final produce would have 18 of these emitters tightly grouped facing 360 degrees so it can be placed in a specially designed reflector. Of course, there will have to be a way to electrically separate each one. One can use the circuit board material used on the metal core circuit boards (like for a luxeon star) to wrap this hex bar. This way you can electrically connect each to the power source while having little thermal resistance to the heatsink. There will have to be testing to see how the heatsink would hold up, given the bar will be attached to a larger heatsink assembly behind the reflector. A hollow tubt can run through the middle to send water through for extra cooling.

..........____
........./____\
........|0|O|0|
........|0|O|0|
........|0|O|0|
........|_|_|_|
..___/__|_|__\___
.|______________|
.|| || || || || || ||
.|| || || || || || ||
.|| || || || || || ||
-U..U..U..U..U..U..U

-OR-
..........____
........./____\
........|0|O|0|
........|0|O|0|
........|0|O|0|
........|_|_|_|
..___/__|_|__\___
.|......................|
.|______________|
.......| |....| |
.......| |....| |
water/fluid In and out.

This was an idea tha was bugging me for some time. They have the Flash emitters for sale for $1.85 at a quantity of 1! It will cost only $33.30 for the emitters for a single bulb replacement, but that isnt bad. it would also crank out about 432 lumens. You can drive the emitters in a series/parallel combination so you can use it for automotive use (about 13.5V -with a good resistor). You can also add another row (6X4 instead of 6X3) or go with a octagonal bar of copper (with room on each facet at 2mm for a emitter atleast). Then you can have a 8X3 or 8X4 array! Wow. You can have a maximum of about 768 lumens with the 8X4 array. It would cost about $60.00 though. Imagine replacing your halogen bulb in your maglite with this. How about a fog light or low beam light on your car? You will have to consider heat with all this, but I believe it is possible. Imagin if you can use the nice die from the emitter of a normal 1W Luxeon star or a 3W. Imagine the output then! If only I had the time or money...

Sorry if I am changing the subject. I just wanted to express the idea I had for a few months. This isnt too much flashlight related, but where else do you post this?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Have gone to
http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en
andI set up some Led related alerts. You guys would be amazed at how long it takes some of this stuff to hit CPF,
Go to the google alerts link refrenced above and set up some searches and you get an e-mail every day covering just the information you are in need of.
Give it a try.
Yaesumofo

idleprocess said:
Got a link on that, since you evidently just copy+pasted a press release?

http://home.businesswire
.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060214005161&newsLang=en

Last edited: