Most useful DeOxit packaging f/CPFers

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking around in preparation to order some DeOxit and I was blown away by all of the different ways it's packaged:
  • Tiny Squeeze Tube
  • Bottle w/Needle Dispenser
  • Bottle w/Brush Applicator
  • Pen
  • Wipes
  • Spray
I've never used it before but it does occur to me that flashlight contacts are probably best maintained by just one or two of these packages. I've heard it mentioned here so often that I'd like to know what you think is the handiest way to use it. So, how do you buy yours?

Also, what is the best solution for CPFers?
  • DeOxit
  • DeOxit GOLD
  • 100% Solution
  • 5% Solution
Help!

TIA

PS: All of my lights are LED.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the DeOxit Power Booster 5% Spray Solution and the DeOxit ProGold 5% Spray Solution (now GOLD). . .I've heard many here say that they prefer the pen-type for their uses.

Last edited:

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I use the pen types for both DeOxit and ProGold. Especially, since they are 100% solutions and readily available at RadioShack.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I bought the small spray cans combo package of Deoxit + ProGold for $12 at local RadioShack, cause you are supposed to use the Deoxit first if there is any sign of existing oxidation, then ProGold gives a long lasting coat of protection.

However, the sprays....even though cheap, are a pain in the *** to use for all the small battery and lightbulb contacts because they spray too much, and all over even with the tube.

So after making a mess with all my rechargeable battery holders and batteries, I went back and just got a ProGold pen for $14 at Radio Shack, and in retrospect, that's all I would have gotten in the first place.

I guess the pen puts out the 100% solution....which I have a hard time seeing that it makes that much more difference vs. a spray version that also coats the whole surface....but the main thing is you can apply it precisely.

The tip is kind of like a harder type of sharpie pen marker, so it holds up well and does not seem to absorb much oxidation color. The only downside of the pen is if you have a large surface, you have to hold it at a shallow tangent angle to try and cover...which is why there are the bottles of the liquid to apply with like a Qtip or cloth. The pen works great for things like battery ends, light bulb contacts, etc...and all Radio Shacks carry them.

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the small tubes. I had ordered some spray bottles and got a tube for $0.01 The tube allows fairly precise application and I use the spray for larger surfaces such as computer interface cards.

Monolith

Enlightened
I use the brush version. Lasts forever with very minimal waste. One bottle will last a looooooong time.

I went through two large spray cans quickly doing audio work, but after that, I got the brush version, and I'm still on my original tiny bottle with the brush.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For strictly flashlight use, the pens are the best. I use them on contacts and sometimes on batteries if I remember.

They are available at Radio Shack and are cheaper there than anywhere else I have seen them.

One drawback is you can't really tell how much is left inside.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I have started using the two pens (Deoxit/ProGold) for all contact surfaces, batteries included. You can get both pens at Radio Shack and as was previously mentioned it's a 100% solution.

Cliff

kennyj

Enlightened
For small stuff like flashlight contacts, yes, the pens are great.

FYI, I'm 99% certain the pens are actually refillable (using the little squeeze tubes or something as a source for the desired solvent.) The tips are replacable as well, if you should somehow manage to damage or wear one out.

I've been thinking of getting a bottle with a brush applicator...

tron3

Banned
Well, the pens are great if you can reach the contact points.

But when I wanted to clean the bottom contact on my larger flashlights, a pen would not reach. Spray to the rescue. Then you can stuff in a large clean rag to twist dry.

You need both, just like you need a QIII, L1P, L0P, Arc, etc.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I use the pens which handle 90% of my needs and use the spray for places the pens can't reach.