geocache torches

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
ROP or 2c with 3 cr123 mod for distance.
PM6 with led drop in for general use, good runtime and decent throw it needed.
2 AA mag with opalec newbeam drop in for stealth missions, and daylight caches that need some light. Great run time so no worries of running out of light with this one.
Petzl headlamp for long night hikes and general use.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Well it depends on where I'm at. In the woods, I take my G2. Monday night went caching to find some urban micros and used my Gerber Sonic then to find one of the micros. Actually I wanted to check the hide for spiders and other critters before I reached in there to get the micro. I find that in urban areas at night, the little Gerber gives me plenty of light to see what I'm doing, but also doesn't give me away when I'm trying to be stealthy.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I was searching for a newly placed geocache that had been giving everyone fits. It was hidden on a steep bank where large rocks had been dumped to prevent erosion. There were quite literally hundreds of possible hiding spots here and trying to see into the nooks and crannies between the rocks was very difficult, especially in the daytime. I took my G2 and spent over an hour searching every possible hiding spot and was about to give up when I checked what looked to be an unlikely spot and there it was. I would never have been able to see the cache without the bright hotspot put out by the G2. I also carry a Brinkmann Maxfire which also works well and is somewhat less expensive. Both are great lights!

Agent_K

Newly Enlightened
I've only searched for one cache in the dark. I used the headlight from my bike, a Cat Eye HL-MC200. Next time I'm bringing the Thor.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
MikeHunt79 said:
What on earth is geocaching?

Here's a pretty good explanation
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Basically it's just using a GPS to find containers in the woods and urban areas. These containers have a log in them that you sign when you find them. You also log the "find" or "did not find" on the geocaching.com website.

It is also possible to find geocaches without a GPS, by using a map and compass instead, it's just a little more challenging though sometimes. I have found a few urban ones by just using Google Earth.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of curious about this. It sounds like great fun! Hunting without the killing (yeah , yeah, I'm a big p***y and don't like killing stuff).

But, does the cache start out as something cool like a nice watch or something and end up as something cheesy like a dixie cup or are folks cool with the stuff they leave?

Gotta get some very wealthy people involved!:)

RebelRAM

Enlightened
As to what you can find in caches, it can be really anything. Sometimes it's really cool stuff, sometimes it's useless junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure I guess. I think most caches have mainly trinkets and odd items.

Newly listed caches usually start off with something really good like a new flashlight or compass or something. Those items are intended as a prize for the First person to find(FTF) the cache. It just really depends on what the person who hid the cache wanted to put in it to get it started.

I have heard that some caches are hidden in very difficult terrain and are very challenging to get to. Some of these people who hide the ultra-hard difficulty ones also sometimes put in cash prizes or very expensive items.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only Geocache in the daylight these days. Three encounters with the cops -in a row- was enough for me. I swear the only reason I wasn't detained was that I had made up a very official looking Geocaching membership card!