New questions on TLE-5

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. How many people here use the TLE-5 modules instead of sandwich modules, and why is the TLE-5 preferred?

2. Anyone here have positive experiences w/the older style TLE-5? How long did such module last before breakage? (Mine lasted for 4 months avg before the side-emitting lens broke off)

3. How do I know if my Lambertian TLE-5s are in fact R-binned? I bought my first one back in August, would that one not be R-binned?

4. Have a few broken side-emitting TLE-5s converted to TLE-5Ns (w/RX0Hs) w/great results. Now, what would happen if instead a Lux I a Lux III (eg. TX0H) is popped in? Will I get improved output? Will the TLE-5's circuit board be compatible w/the Lux III emitter?

Thanks and kindly advise.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a TLE-5 break or stop functioning at all... How exactly is the lens breaking off? Is this a consistant pattern with your TLE-5s?

My guess is if your bought a high dome TLE-5 in August, it is NOT an R-bin as I think think started advertising that they were R-bins in about November.

In general, if you replace a Lux I with a Lux III, but keep the same circuit/current setting, there may be a small increase in brightness, but probably not as much as you are expecting. If you replace an RX0H with a TX0H, I'd expect to have similar output... maybe slightly less, maybe slightly more. If you went to a U**H, I'd expect it to be a bit brighter but probably not enough to offset the cost difference of a $5 R-bin to a $20+ U-bin.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I got the TLE-5 because it was cheaper than a sandwitch module

I think you would have a greater increase in brightness if you used an led that had a lower input voltage than the one installed in it now. The main difference is if you can get a more effecient emitter. The lux 3 is really only brighter when you drive it at a higher current, which the TLE-5 won't do.