LETS FIND this high flux LED?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this year's shotshow I was amazed that Seoul Semiconductor's LED's blasts all of Lumileds products in terms of performance and price (30% less then Lumileds latest pricin). I mean a 5W LED with 170+ Lumen, or 2.5W with 103 Lumen, or an 1.2 Watt with 52 Lumen is pretty impressive.

I talked to PK about it asking him why he doesnt switch to Seoul Semiconductor with all their LED products. He said that there is even a better company out there. I then asked which one, he said he will tell me next year.

Anyone know who he is talking about - brightest 3W or 5W LED - what company is better then Seoul Semiconductor?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing that does not make sense is that their lumen rating is different whether they use a reflector or not. A Lumen measurement shouldn't be effected by that? Or can anyone explain this? I thought Lumen measures the total amount of light emitted so using a reflector should actually decrease the lumen instead of increasing it.
I can't imagine the OSRAM guys not knowing how to measure Lumen so anyone know why?

SemiMan

Banned
Why not Seoul? Well for one, 52 Lumens (typical)? I find that hard to believe as I would doubt Cree is selling them better die than for their own chips. You can get the lumens up by going with a high (not necessarily desirable) color temperature. The 2.5W and the 5W could have better thermals. Seoul life is not fantastic when they get hot.

Of course there is the fact it is not conformal coated for the phosphor and hence you get funny color rings with an optic.

Other than that, yes they are cheaper, but I guess it comes down to reliability and light quality.

Semiman

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Surefire is only using them for their 5mm LED's not the 3 or 5W - however there must be someone else out there that has better performances.... and my guess is that Surefire will be using them this year...