Good reason to buy a solitaire?

SpyderNoir_JHA

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I was in the Radio Shack the other day and I saw that they had Solitaires for sale... so I bought one. "Why, oh why?" you ask. Well, I got it in order to show how much better my Arc AAA-P is in comparison. Is this unusual?

Funny?

Sick?

Has anybody else ever bought one light simply to demonstrate how much better another light is?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, when I got my CostcoHID my friend just got his THORs 15MCP & 10MCP. Then we compared them. . .That was funny and fun at the same time. For some reason he felt put out by his purchase. He he he. . .

firefly99

Enlightened
Yes, for some other reasons:

I purchased a clone "Inova X1" that has this words on the packages.
"Designed in France, Made in China. Mission Critical". The cost $1.50

Just very curious, how such a cheap light can be "mission critical" and has a beam that shine for miles. The beam is so dim even with fresh battery. CRAAPY light.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
SpyderNoir_JHA said:
Well, I got it in order to show how much better my Arc AAA-P is in comparison.
Actually, that's exactly the first answer I thought of when I read the topic. The exact wording in my head was "to see how pathetic it is" and I was picturing an Arc.

Macaw

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the bulb is about the same size as the ones in the MM? I was thinking of installing a MM bulb in a solitare and using the Li-Ion AAA cells I got from AW. Could this be done?

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Soli is the first light I ever gave my wife (I don't even think we were married back then). It's been on her keychain since, but I'd give her an ArcAAA or a Photon light today.

tron3

Banned
SpyderNoir_JHA said:
Okay, I was in the Radio Shack the other day ...

You were in Radio Shack and bought something? My condolences to your wallet. :broke: I used to work there so I can say that.

True, it's nice to have for comparison. Most people think they are the same until you show them. Just remember, it has a spare bulb under the battery spring. You'll need it. :crackup:

SpyderNoir_JHA

Newly Enlightened
The Solitaire at Radio Shack was about $6.00. Are they really cheaper elsewhere?! Not that it matters, of course. To me it seemed a fair price for demonstrating the awesome power of the Arc compared to the competition.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
tron3 said:
You were in Radio Shack and bought something? My condolences to your wallet. :broke: I used to work there so I can say that.
The Rat Shack is only good for clearance items.

And I hated how the employees used to try to offer you a "free" cell phone. :rant:

Edit:
Oh yeah, I forgot to post the obligatory Rat Shack website link:

http://www.radioshacksucks.com/

Last edited:

atm

Enlightened
You could also stick the Solitaire in your pocket with your keys for a day (or 5 mins...) then you'll be able to demonstrate how much better the finish is on the Arc also!
duh2.gif

Andrew

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
The solitare will probably be decent if it goes LED this year. :)

The old saying is, 'Be careful what you wish for…it could come true.' A boost circuit and super emitter could be made to fit a Solitaire light. It would be a very flat drop-in converter. It would be so flat that the Solitaire head would completely screw down. It would take 30 seconds to install. The technology, the brains and the manufacturing company is out there to make a Solitaire drop-in. And the price would be very right.

I'm not saying anything more. Go ahead and make a wish…I dare ya. ;)

I heard some wishing. This manufactured drop-in has a very distinctive looking emitter. The Solitaire boost converter has been built with the well known SMJLED emitter. There are a lot of uses for the SMJLED emitters.

Which will come first? Solitaire Day or Tax Day.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much do you think a drop in owuld cost? @ $40.00 I lov the ARC... Even non "enlightned" ask me to turn it on. Granted it's normally after a night of drinking but you get the picture...

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue said:
The old saying is, ?Be careful what you wish for?it could come true.? A boost circuit and super emitter could be made to fit a Solitaire light. It would be a very flat drop-in converter. It would be so flat that the Solitaire head would completely screw down. It would take 30 seconds to install. The technology, the brains and the manufacturing company is out there to make a Solitaire drop-in. And the price would be very right.

I?m not saying anything more. Go ahead and make a wish?I dare ya. ;)

I heard some wishing. This manufactured drop-in has a very distinctive looking emitter. The Solitaire boost converter has been built with the well known SMJLED emitter. There are a lot of uses for the SMJLED emitters.

Awww Mannnn! TB, you're telling me that all the time I spent on my SMJLED mod, was purely educational. Now in 30 seconds you can have a regulated SMJLED Solitaire! Man, I've been paying lots of tuition lately.

But, if I am correct, the Solitaire reflector can only accept a 3 mm emitter, so the drop-in you showed must be a 3 mm, 4 die LED - little brother to the current SMJLED. In other words, the PITA Solitaire reflector extraction is now unnecessary, and the head will retain the spot-flood focusing ability.

Cool! Solitaires can now be used as flashlights and not for just for bottom-of-the-food-chain reference.

Show me more!