LED Throwies? oddest LED "light" I've seen...

2.99792458*10^10cm/sec

Newly Enlightened
LED throwies, a 2032 bat, a 10mm LED, a magnet, and some tape?
then you throw it at something...

http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/7DBB34EAEDFF1028A1FC001143E7E506/?ALLSTEPS

wtfsign.gif

-David

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very cool! Like harmless grafitti.

I used to think it might be cool to epoxy strange stuff in strange places. Like a toilet to the side of an overpass or something. A 3 dimensional twist on grafiti.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn, I searched so I didn't repeate with my post but I guess I missed this thread somehow. grrrrrr.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Find some low-cost solar cells, substitute an ultra-cap for the battery, and you have "throwies" that should light forever. Well, maybe not. I'm sure after some months the effects of weather would destroy them.

Maybe do as I just suggested, but encase the whole thing in epoxy. That would probably last essentially forever. That being said, I'm not sure I see the point unless you have money and time to throw away (literally).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to put a more constructive twist to it, it's also a good recipe for an improvised Photon knockoff should you need some really cheap lights in a pinch

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm that thing is ecologically a nightmare - having all these Lithium batteries out there - hanging high up where no one can reach them, then have rain-water, rust, then have it all drip into the water supply.....

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides littering the environment with tiny cells, has anybody considered the danger to animals and small children who might try to eat these little things? If we're going to have these LED Throwies lets use them responsibly! I'd hate to see the skateboard mentality crowd get a hold of them.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Methinks some of us (and those on the Ars Technica board too) are taking this a tad too seriously. Looking at the video, they had a hard time getting them to stick, so they aren't going to be super hard to pull down. Nobody was able to throw them higher than I could reach with an aluminum window-cleaning extension pole, so removal is trivial. They are pretty. If it were my building, I'd want them left up there until they no longer glowed. A welcome addition.

Animals and children eat them? Please. My dog finds all manner of things lying around, on the street, in the woods, picks them up and mouths them and spits them out. Every day. LEDs & batteries aren't particularly tasty. Yes, kids and pets occasionally swallow something inappropriate which is why we watch them, but this is not a significant addition to the ordinary refuse on a street.

Wasteful? Yes. Adds to landfills? Yes. Giving out free plastic keychain LEDs with very cheap batteries is too. Or overstocking and trashing items in stores. But trivial.

I think this is pretty guilt-free.

- Bill

edison

Enlightened
LowBat said:
Besides littering the environment with tiny cells, has anybody considered the danger to animals and small children who might try to eat these little things? If we're going to have these LED Throwies lets use them responsibly! I'd hate to see the skateboard mentality crowd get a hold of them.
mobile1 said:
hmmm that thing is ecologically a nightmare - having all these Lithium batteries out there - hanging high up where no one can reach them, then have rain-water, rust, then have it all drip into the water supply.....
I shouldn't even bother posting in this thread, but I can't help it.

Are you guys serious? Groundwater contamination? Militant skaters?

Did I miss something? :shrug:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, maybe its not american thinking, but throwing 100s of coin cells into the landscape just for fun isnt that bright an idea.

And the fact that they DONT stick makes it even worse (as most will never function but only get grinded into street dust)

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
i would rather make something useful out of all those batteies and leds.... throwing them around inthe street is kind of a waste to me, not to mention harmful to the environment

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I think about it the more I realize I'd probably go around collecting all those "free" LED's and coin cells! <grin>.

old4x4

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it. If you want to throw away $$$, give it to me. People need more constructive things to do.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
zespectre said:
The more I think about it the more I realize I'd probably go around collecting all those "free" LED's and coin cells! <grin>.
You and me both. I hate seeing anything go to waste. I'm sure the magnets and LEDs would still come in handy even if the cells were depleted.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
edison said:
I shouldn't even bother posting in this thread, but I can't help it.

Are you guys serious? Groundwater contamination? Militant skaters?

Did I miss something? :shrug:
The skateboard mentality isn't militant, but irresponsible and inconsiderate. It's the kid/guy who displays the "skateboarding is not a crime" bumper sticker while damaging public and private property by sliding and banging his board on everything he can. These fine upstanding citizens can't just ride through, they have to spend 20 minutes or so jumping in place and flipping their boards which usually crash back on the ground. Fine if it's in some vacant field, a real nuisance just about anywhere else. The second part of the mentality it to whine and complain to the cops when they get caught trespassing or vandalizing and successfully escalate themselves into a court appearance, and then tell their friends/parents all they were doing was riding it and the mean cop gave me a ticket.

Sorry for going off topic, I've just had to deal with these types for too many years.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi: hahaha I'd laugh so hard if I drove by and saw a toilet glued to the side of an underpass. Just as long as it cant fall on my car!

These things are just a new form of graffetti. I love the quote from the site "NYPD loves them" haha yeah right.

How about a more annnoying version? 5mm blinking high brightness, put daub of clear silicone on top to diffuse it. Imagine several dozen multi colored blinking LED lights. ya, that would be a major distraction!!! Stick a red one underneath the car of a friend. They'll think their car has a bomb under it. Actually don't you can get in trouble for false alarms but you get the idea.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had it with skateboarders. Both churches I spend some time at have all all their outside stonework (benches, steps, borders, curbs) ruined by kids grinding on boards. You go out there and yell at them and they're all "We haven't done anything wrong!" My teenage cousin used to skateboard, and he and his friends had the same attitude. They ban skateboard tricks on the masonry at his school and they act like their right to freedom has been violated. And they still go over there after hours and tear things up.

And it's the same deal all over town. The nice granite curbs are beat to hell now. I have no problem with boarders who ride on the pavement and do tricks in skate parks, but the trouble is that most of the young ones don't give a crap about that.