Other Fenix Lights we would like to see!

Which new Fenix light would you most like to see? Read the post before voting.

• 1 CR123 @ 1w - 3w

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • 2 CR123 @ 3w - 5w

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • 3 C-cell @ 1w - 3w

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • 1 AAAA @ .5w - 1w

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • A true Flashaholic has returned! - Group hug!

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tron3

Banned
<Cracks knuckles> Ahhh, good to be back to the old CPF forum after my <coff> "vacation". :ironic:

Time to catch up on some posting on the greatest Flashlight Forum in the world!

For those of you without a Fenix, or never saw one. http://www.fenixlight.com/

This is to give us an idea of what we really want as Fenix users. Basically, we want to see that great L0P, L1P, and L2P design UPSIZED into the voting catagories above.

So basically, same type of body, with that great Hard Anodized Type III finish, r-bin Luxeon bulbs, and water tightness.
Ex: 1w - 3w means it may be a variable brightness unit, or just a single watt unit in that range.
We are not concerned with the details of multi-levels, or single level right now.

Please remember to wipe the drool when you are done dreaming.

Last edited:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
tron3,

Actually, a 2C 3-5W would fill a gap in what is available now. A 3C gets it in the realm of Elektrolumens. An aluminium 4xaa (2x2) would even be better: better heatsinking than polymer, so more chance af a really bright, slightly overdriven Luxeon in a small package. When will somebody make an aluminium body like the Tec 40?

Kees

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you also add 2xAA side by side and
2x123 side by side?

I dunno what is upcoming so this is a pure suggestion :D

tron3

Banned
mrdctaylor said:
How about a stupid clip for the L1P or L0P. I needs me a clip!

A clip for the L1P? What is wrong with that nice slide-in nylon one? I was a little warry of loosing it at first, but it really is a snug fit. No flap means I can pull it out in an instant.

A clip for the L0P? Are you 4 feet tall? :laughing:

tron3

Banned
greg_in_canada said:
I think a 2-level L0P would sell better to the general public. The current run-time is too short for non-flashaholics IMO.

Greg

I am generally a fan of multi-level lights, but I am finding it runs a LOT longer than the specified 0.6 hours after battery half life. Mine ran several hours longer. Sure, the light was more of a reading light at the end, but it was still good for navigation a long time.

Remember, the L0P is more of a localized light and not made for distance. A fresh battery still gives light up to 50 feet away in my tests.

Purist that I am, I find it hard to put dimmers on 1w flashlights. What is the purpose? Now, I believe a 3 watter could have a 1w and 3w setting, while a 5w only needs settings of 1w, 3w, and 5w. Anything more without a rocker switch is too many button pushes.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
I think a 2-level L0P would sell better to the general public. The current run-time is too short for non-flashaholics IMO.

Greg

The "general public" will not buy a flashlight at this price regardless of the features. I've been doing a VERY unscientific poll around my workplace (a computer chip manufacturer, rife with geeks) and the general opinion is that an "expensive" flashlight is about $20.

When I show them my L0P they say two things: "DAMN that's bright!" and "You paid almost FIFTY BUCKS for that? Are you nuts???"

At current prices, Fenix is a "boutique" light.

Despite the original post saying "we want..." (who is "we"?), I really don't have an interest in any of the proposed lights in the poll. So, I guess my opinion about the 'next light' would be one at a price point that WILL engender the general public to buy, which in turn will result in reduction of the other light prices.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
I am really surprised at the results so far.

I know I want a 3 C-Cell unit replace those large, clunky 3 D-cell maglites.
What do we call that? Fenix 3C, maybe? I can just see that classic styling and HAIII coating now. 3w with 3 light levels plus "hazzard" flashing. Much like a Nuwai light.

dim

Enlightened
twentysixtwo said:
My recommendation - a 2xAAA 3 watter with 2 power levels!!!!!
I like like your suggestion of a 2xAAA form, twentysixtwo, as I like the form of the RR 2xAAA a lot, as long as it's sufficiently bright with reasonable runtimes on NiMH batts (35 lumens for an hour would be nice) - I Just don't think too much of the RR as a flashlight. I'm still undecided about multi-level flashlights in general as multiple flashlights, or in context, EDCs, with different levels has its merits too.

The thing that has most kept me from giving the Fenix ANY consideration is that reverse clickie. I think that it has no place on a flashlight with a tail switch. My preferred switch, what I'd like to see on a Fenix, is a quality twistie w/momentary. Of course, a few bucks discounted would make the Fenix that much more appealing.

Maybe a new SDC (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Good poll/thread tron3. How to make a good flashlight even better!.

dim

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
The "general public" will not buy a flashlight at this price regardless of the features. I've been doing a VERY unscientific poll around my workplace (a computer chip manufacturer, rife with geeks) and the general opinion is that an "expensive" flashlight is about $20.

When I show them my L0P they say two things: "DAMN that's bright!" and "You paid almost FIFTY BUCKS for that? Are you nuts???"

I guess you are right. Maybe if it was priced at $30.

Greg

tron3

Banned
dim said:

Maybe a new SDC (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Good poll/thread tron3. How to make a good flashlight even better!.

Up until now, I thought only "4 letter words" were considered offensive. :sssh: :rant:

Thanks for the compliment. I always like improving upon original designs. New designs always have their flaws. I say perfect a classic before you move on to the next model.

Hmm, maybe something in a nice shiney chrome?

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Definitely--two stage designs in all sizes that have a clicky and don't require an extra mod.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

They're also hard or impossible for the oridinary person to find. Maybe we should convince Streamlight, Pelican or Gerber to come out with lights with these features. They would probably be cheaper, and they would be easier to find. For instance you could just go to brightguy.com or batterystation.com and order one.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I would really like to see a fully regulated 4AA Luxeon III Light like my PT Apex except in a hand-held light.

I would also buy either a 2C or 2D luxeon I or III light with full regulation. What would the runtime be on a 2D Lux I light with regulation like the L2P?

Yeah, I'd buy any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.