Anything brighter with further throw than Inova T4?

BusaRider

Newly Enlightened
I'm stupid happy with my Inova T4. However, after my Mom saw it she wants one. When she told me what she wanted to use it for I thought I'd look into it and see if there was an LED out there with a longer throw. My light would do the job but I don't know if it'll do what she wants with her eyes. She would prefer rechargeable but not needed with the falling cost of Li-Ion batteries.

I just bought her an Inova Radiant "C" and she loves it but not enough throw to look down into the field behind the house.

Any ideas without going over the cost of the T4?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know much about them Inovas, but there's the Vortex TR3 (3W Luxeon Star) and TR5 (5W Luxeon Star) which the manufacture claims throws light to 90m (295 ft?). Its size is roughly 7.5 inces and tips the scales at around 16.25 ounces.

Vortex claims a lumen out put of 80 and 105 respectively. I've yet to see one up close and personal!

By they way. I met a Chris Pyle in Hawaii. He too is a Suzuki rider!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest versions of the Pelican M6 and the Streamlight TL-2LED both have a little more throw. My Nuwai TM115 seems to have good throw, because it can focus to a pretty small spot, plus it is a relatively inexpensive light. My light that has the best throw is my Streamlight TL-3 Incandescent. It's a scorcher and isn't expensive either.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T3 will throw a little farther and is a bit brighter but it isn't rechargeable. Actually there have been several Luxeon lights that have been mentioned, all of which have more throw and output than the T4, including the SL ProPolys' and the LEDBeam. Those all (except the Pro Poly 3C) can use rechargeable or low cost alkaline batteries. You didn't mention how far she needed to look down into the field but in some of those cases, an incandescent like a SL20/Stinger/Magcharger might be more appropriate. Insofar as whether a rechargeable or disposable battery model may be more cost effective, that would depend on the amount of use that it would receive. In many cases, disposable alkalines may be the more cost effective means unless the light is going to be used frequently, and in most home use situations, it's not a big deal to charge and exchange batteries (as opposed to have a rack mounted charger like the SLs or Magchargers).

BusaRider said:
I'm stupid happy with my Inova T4. However, after my Mom saw it she wants one. When she told me what she wanted to use it for I thought I'd look into it and see if there was an LED out there with a longer throw. My light would do the job but I don't know if it'll do what she wants with her eyes. She would prefer rechargeable but not needed with the falling cost of Li-Ion batteries.

I just bought her an Inova Radiant "C" and she loves it but not enough throw to look down into the field behind the house.

Any ideas without going over the cost of the T4?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using NiMH batteries tends to lessen that to a point where it is hardly noticable. And your claim doesn't really appear to be substantiated by a respected 3rd party review site http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm , as a matter of fact, one might even say that it appears to conflict by quite a bit.

MetalCastr said:
The LED Beam's output diminishes fairly quickly however, seems to not have any regulation or regulation made of cheese.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Using NiMH batteries tends to lessen that to a point where it is hardly noticable. And your claim doesn't really appear to be substantiated by a respected 3rd party review site http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm , as a matter of fact, one might even say that it appears to conflict by quite a bit.

Ahah! Finally a chance to see how C NIMHs work in the LEDBeams.

Can you notice a difference in brightness vs alkalines?
I keep thinking about it, but the investment in a good C charger and a couple of sets of 5000 maH batteries would pay for enough alkies ($8 for 12 from Sam's Club) to last me years. I am still on the same set of batteries from last November, and they are really bright.

I agree - the LEDBeam is by far the best throw for the money. I have two, and may get 3 more. Fantastic light. I widen the spot just a little from the tightest position, and still get great throw. The spill is bright enough for me.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't actually have an LEDBeam (at least not yet ...). A friend of mine is evaluating a number of them right now. From what I understand, they're probably not going to be the selection for purchase (for reasons that I will not be discussing here) and I may have an opportunity to "inherit" one or two of them when he's finished with them. But I have had a chance to play with them and am quite impressed with their output, though the switches seem kind of vulnerable and they don't have a momentary on. The dimensions are very close to that of a 3 cell Mag, but the aluminum appears to be cast or injection molded rather than turned as you might see in an American-made product. Anyway back to the batteries. I've used the lights side by side with both NiMH and Alkaline batteries and have noticed virtually no difference in throw or brightness, then put fresh alkalines in the light that had NiMH, and a freshly charged set of NiMH in the light that had the Alkalines and pretty much notice that there was no difference in performance. The lights themselves can vary a little from light to light in intensity and tint. I was using two lights that had the closest tint and intensity to each other.

But that having been said, if the cost of batteries and a charger will buy enough batteries to last you for years, then quite honestly, you might really be better off with alkalines. You won't have to constantly remember to charge them, and a 12 pack is 4 sets of batteries (at $2 a set), and a set of batteries is going to cost about 1/2 the price of a no-name Chinese NiMH (about $3-4) and about 1/4 the price of a name brand C sized NiMH.

The reason NiMH batteries were being tested in these lights were because they were being evaluated for a usage that would have required more frequent changes of batteries (like maybe 1-3 times a week).

How did you widen the spot? The head of the light is fixed, the only thing that can be removed is the bezel holding the lense and retaining the reflector.

... and if I don't "inherit" those lights I may just have to take advantage of the $23.95 offer :) While they may not make the cut for industrial use, they seem to be great candidates for home/car usage, far more versatile than a 3 cell Mag (though admittedly the incandescent Mag will throw farther.)

Spectrum said:
Ahah! Finally a chance to see how C NIMHs work in the LEDBeams.

Can you notice a difference in brightness vs alkalines?
I keep thinking about it, but the investment in a good C charger and a couple of sets of 5000 maH batteries would pay for enough alkies ($8 for 12 from Sam's Club) to last me years. I am still on the same set of batteries from last November, and they are really bright.

I agree - the LEDBeam is by far the best throw for the money. I have two, and may get 3 more. Fantastic light. I widen the spot just a little from the tightest position, and still get great throw. The spill is bright enough for me.

BusaRider

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Using NiMH batteries tends to lessen that to a point where it is hardly noticable.

I just ordered one of these to test. Regarding the batteries mentioned above. Excuse my ignorance but what kind of batteries should I be using and what can I expect out of their life?

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have for sale a shelf queen like new never carried Streamlight TaskLight 2L3W Luxeon flashlight. It has an extremely bright and the tint is white. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Some specs are as follows:

Solid State power regulation.
Digitally controlled brightness levels (2).
Up to 77 Lumens on High.
Runtimes are about 2-3 hrs. on high and 10 - 11 hrs. on low.
Streamlight Lifetime warranty.

Asking $55.00 shipped USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation Conus (USA) only. I will not be responsible for lost or damaged items.
I accept PayPal cash transfers (Non Credit Card) only to my personal PayPal account.

Please PM me for correct PayPal address.
I am not interested in trade offers.
The first person to say "I'll take it" without changes gets it before any PM's I receive.

p10100076pp.jpg

p10100117wr.jpg
[/font]
_
I've heard of people running RCR123a"s in these lights for guilt free lumens._________________

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're referring to the LEDBeam, I think you'll be pretty impressed with the light. Both the hot spot and the spill are pretty remarkable coming from a 3C light. The fact that it will run for almost 5 hours before it reaches 50% is just icing on the proverbial cake. Unfortunately, the construction of the light is such it's not something that you'd want to throw under a passing bus, and the cover over the switch feels like it's not going to last long (don't leave it sitting in sunlight absorbing UV rays :) ). With regards to the type of batteries that you'll be using, you'll probably be fine with alkalines if you already have C sized NiMH/NiCDs and a charger, unless your usage is going to be such that it would justify spending about $40 to get batteries and a charger. Bear in mind that $40 will buy you about 4-5 12 packs of batteries from your local warehouse store or about 16-20 sets of batteries (for some people the flashlight might not last that long!).

You might want to look over the review on this light at http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm as well, it's got some good information in it. And do be aware that since it's still winter, you're battery life can be impacted severely by low temps.

BusaRider said:
I just ordered one of these to test. Regarding the batteries mentioned above. Excuse my ignorance but what kind of batteries should I be using and what can I expect out of their life?

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Golston "7W" it will throw better than all but the most expensive LED lights out there and only costs approx $30. Search CPF for more info and where to buy.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
MetalCastr said:
The LED Beam's output diminishes fairly quickly however, seems to not have any regulation or regulation made of cheese.
Hmmm....How about cutting down the tube to 1C length, threading the end, and using one of AW's forthcoming protected C-size lithium-ions? :)