Are the KL1 and KL3 the same? Output wise?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that the new KL1 on a 2-cell body is rated at 30 lumens, according to Surefires' website. However they don't have the info on the new KL3 head up yet. The readings seem the same over at flashlightreviews.com, but does anyone have both? Can you confirm?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, both running on 2 cells.

I can confirm that the overall output seems to be the same. Pointing the ceiling and looking at stuff on my desk gives the same confort, and I couldn't tell wich one is brighter.

Both of them have good regulation. But the KL3 is a bit more efficient since less current is used for the same light output. I think it has longer runtime, as a result.

The differences I can tell:
- the KL1 gets hotter than the KL3.
- The KL3 hot spot is tigher than the KL1's (wich is already quite a thrower)
- The KL3 has some sidespill rings, can be usefull when walking on a path
- The KL3 throw better than the KL1.
- The KL3 is significantly bigger than the KL1

If what you want is throw, go for the KL3. Just know that almost all the light is focused in the tight hot spot, and that is is bigger than the KL1...

IonFire

Enlightened
Hey, i hope someone replies too.

I can't wrap my head around how a lower output light throws further an has more out put and an extra hour run time.

25-20 Lumens for the KL1(3Hrs) and 19 Lumens for the KL3(4.25Hrs).

Only thing i can think of, is the statistics still posted at Surefire.com are outdated by the newer heads availible.

IF

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they have the new specs for the KL1 up, but not the KL3. I emailed them about that as well as asking them to confirm specs for the new KL3.

I'm considering "building" a Digital Lumamax at lighthound.com with the black Z2 body, regular black tailcap and the KL3.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if its as "blinding" as a P60 when directed into the eyes?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, cannot tell as I don't own a P60 lamp... see my signature :grin2:

I would call both of them "blinding", but that's very subjective...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The new KL3 has been available for some time now, at least on the local AF base - though one never knows whether they'll have the HA or black version until one drops in. They do have a couple old styles left as well.

I don't understand why SF hasn't posted it on their site for soooo long?!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
IonFire said:
Hey, i hope someone replies too.

I can't wrap my head around how a lower output light throws further an has more out put and an extra hour run time.

25-20 Lumens for the KL1(3Hrs) and 19 Lumens for the KL3(4.25Hrs).

Only thing i can think of, is the statistics still posted at Surefire.com are outdated by the newer heads availible.

IF

Yeah, that IS confusing! Like Sigman says, Surefire's strength ain't in keeping their site current (much like Inova and some others!).

The numbers on the SF site are for the OLD (gen-1) KL3 LED head. It's a very nice short-mid range flood light with a loooong 5 hr. runtime. I have one and it makes a nice inside/room illuminator... or an outside light-a-path walk light -- if there's little competing ambient light. Still, I'd take this light over any 10 "shakelights" for power-outage emergencies. It's a good battery drainer, much like the Inova X5T Flooder, but it's about 2 1/2 times as bright as the X5.

Tino has summarized the NEW (gen-2) KL3 pretty well. It's the total opposite of the old version in that it's a tightly-focused Thrower. Thus, I'd expect it to have self-defense applications, though its narrow beam doesn't leave much room for "aiming" error at an attacking social deviant/miscreant. On paper, the new KL3 looks similar to the new Pelican M6 HA 3W LED. However, the Peli has a bit more side spill.

The KL1 (or E2L) is pretty much a pocket-sized version of the new KL3. However, while it's a nifty little Thrower, it also has some useful spill. This light is my favorite EDC and back-up light. Very trou-pocketable. Nice 2 1/2 hour + runtime. Super reliable.

BBL

Enlightened
Yes, the KL3 runs on 2x li-ion within spec (9V).

The KL1 runs out of spec on 9V.

Cypher

Enlightened
I don't really know what you mean by out of spec in regards to the KL1. It is my understanding that there is no problem with running the KL1 on 9V. I have been doing so for almost two years and have had no problems.

The KL1 is as bright on 2 x cr123 as on 2 x r123 so I think it is quite able to run safely in regulation at 9V.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using the latest generation KL1 on a 3x123 tube. It works well with 3 123's or two 3.7 V rechargables. It also works fairly well with two rechargable AA NiMH's, with a reduced runtime.