CREE releases 47lm/W 8 C/W

*Retired*
...general availability of the industry's highest efficacy white power LEDs @ 350mA

...typical efficacy of 47 lumens per watt at a drive current of 350 mA, and 57 lumens of typical light output.

...availability of XLamp 7090 in warm white (2700-4500º K)

...notes Manuel Lynch, Permlight Products president and CEO. "Cree has done a terrific job of providing us with highly efficient power LEDs

The XLamp 7090 power LED also features:
- Reduced thermal resistance to 8º C/watt. (dang, thats lower than a LumiLEDs K2!)

- Electrically neutral thermal paths (sweet feature!), allowing use of economical printed circuit boards.

- Reflow solderability.

http://www.cree.com/press/40.htm

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CREE releases 57lm/W 8 C/W

Very nice. It looks like they kept the same package dimensions. The substrate appears much thinner, which could help account for the improvement in thermal properties. I wonder if the die height has changed?

I've got a couple of empty ArcAA heads that one of these would be great in as a small flood. I want to put a CreeUV in another.

Paul

L.E.D.

Enlightened
SWEET. These LED's look nice. Why doesn't anyone make a flashlight with these Cree LED's, they seem to be on par with if not nicer than Luxeons (don't know about the new K2 though) ???

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrically neutral thermal paths (sweet feature!), allowing use of economical printed circuit boards.

this is a feature that should ROCK ;)
Any Idea about Pricing.... and the Lumens / Current curves...

I am more of interested in "UnderDriving" them rather than OvR Driving them...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad they got their thermal resistance down. Hopefully this change makes it to the XL3, and they reduce the Vf of the XL3 at the same time.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good looking parts, Jar. Thanks for posting. I've got a question for you or anyone else. I've looked at the datasheets for this and the earlier XL7090 part and found the mechanical drawings lacking several important dimensions. They don't even give the height of the optical center. Is there a link to a separate CREE document that gives all the relevant mechanical dimensions of this package? Thanks.

Last edited:

*Retired*
It is best to call them.

The have two phophor versions of this device, both of which should be available soon, if not now.

The optical center is not quite the same as the way of thinking for the conformal phophor of the Luxeon.

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
It looks like SSC has the same type of die in their LEDs, they have the same thermal resistance, and they have a thermal resistance of only 6degree C/W on their 2.5W LEDs...

Last edited:

*Retired*
Opto-King said:
It looks like SSC has the same type of die in their LEDs, they have the same thermal resistance, and they have a thermal resistance of only 6degree C/W on their 2.5W LEDs...

Yes, Seoul Semi does use the CREE die in their blue, cyan, green, white devices.

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
NewBie said:
Yes, Seoul Semi does use the CREE die in their blue, cyan, green, white devices.

How do you know this?
And how come the Cree XLamp 7090 has 17C/W thermal resistance and the SSC P1 & P3 LEDs has 8 & 9C/W thermal resistance if they are using the same die?

Last edited: